Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SawStop Mobile Base

SawStop Mobile Base

I apologize for beating a dead horse here, but I dearly need some help. I am preparing to buy the 3 hp PCS in the next couple months, but I can’t decide what to do about the mobile base. I have read a lot and most everyone recommends getting the ICS base. The problem is it is my understanding that every spring SawStop has the promotion where you can get the PCS mobile base free when you buy the saw. I was gonna call and see if maybe the retailer will apply that amount towards the purchase of the ICS base. If they cannot/will not do that is the ICS base worth $380 more than a free PCS base? Once I figure out where the saw is going to live it will be pretty much stationary except for occasional moves to clean or if I want to rearrange the shop. Thanks for any input.

I bought the PCS base instead of the ICS base purely over the price difference. And now I beat myself up every time I move the saw. Spend the money. The ICS base is so much nicer and easier to move the saw. It will go anywhere you want on the ICS base and only in limited direction with the PCS base. Bite the bullet!

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Atwell View Post
    I apologize for beating a dead horse here, but I dearly need some help. I am preparing to buy the 3 hp PCS in the next couple months, but I can’t decide what to do about the mobile base. I have read a lot and most everyone recommends getting the ICS base. The problem is it is my understanding that every spring SawStop has the promotion where you can get the PCS mobile base free when you buy the saw. I was gonna call and see if maybe the retailer will apply that amount towards the purchase of the ICS base. If they cannot/will not do that is the ICS base worth $380 more than a free PCS base? Once I figure out where the saw is going to live it will be pretty much stationary except for occasional moves to clean or if I want to rearrange the shop. Thanks for any input.

Get The ICS base...!!!!!!!

I would rather use my bare hands under the cabinet as glides than use the PCS base. Absolutely frustrating/

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I would rather use my bare hands under the cabinet as glides than use the PCS base. Absolutely frustrating/
    Whoa! That’s a pretty strong recommendation for the ICS.

When I bought my SawStop, I bought the ICS base and took the overarm Dust collection as the promotional freebie. The Dust collection came shipped directly from SawStop.

The ICS bas is wonderful and worth the extra $$$$.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    When I bought my SawStop, I bought the ICS base and took the overarm Dust collection as the promotional freebie. The Dust collection came shipped directly from SawStop.

The ICS bas is wonderful and worth the extra $$$$.
    That’s not a bad idea. I had read somewhere that you got some kind of voucher or something along those lines, so it doesn’t look good for me being able to trade up the freebie to the ICS.

I’ve read lots of great things about the ICS base and have no doubt that it is fantastic. That said, I have no complaints about the PCS mobile base. It lifts easily and my 52” fence and side table lift with it. You do have to deal with the dance of the one way casters but, given sufficient space, that’s not a problem. Don’t know why someone would say they’d rather lift it by hand. 🤷🏼*♂️

I have the pcs base. I don’t the shimmy shake to get it where I need it. I don’t move it every day. The industrial one looks sweet, but the pcs integrated base is not bad. It is sturdy and rolls smoothly. The foot pedals are sturdy and smooth.

It is well designed I say.

To be honest I never knew the industrial one existed until just now!! I never thought mine was bad.

I have the ICS base and love it. Moves like it's floating on air. And if you ever decide to get the SawStop router table extension you must have the ICS base, not the PCS base. Something to think about.

I have heard and read about SawStop PCS owners with PCS mobile base sell the PCS base for the ICS mobile base. I have not heard/read of an ICS mobile base owner selling the ICS base to purchase the PCS base....

The ICS base will not go through a 30" door, if that is a possibility. I think it needs 32" clearance IIRC.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Is there any reason you can’t replace the fixed casters with swivel casters? I don’t have a Sawstop but in looking at the pics it looks like they are held on with 4 bolts. There are lots of sources for casters.

I have the ICS mobile base on my 3HP PCS SawStop. It is well worth the extra cost.

Besides general mobility, I also used it when attaching the cast iron extensions. Basically I positioned it next to my work bench, and adjusted the height so the work bench would support the extensions. Made it much easier to attach them. Then turned the saw around 180 degrees to repeat the process on the other side.

Bob

I have the ICS base and love it. I've never used the PCS base, but the dust collection guard was an alternative freebie when I bought it. So I paid for the base, but not the dust collection guard. I also added the folding outfeed table, which was a big win as far as usability. I tend not to move my saw, but having the capability to do so is very useful.