Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win a Corvette?

Blog Entries

Win a Corvette?

For some reason the Corvette has been a favorite sports car of mine. In reality my vehicle desires have been fulfilled by trucks or vans.

Peter Max bought a collection of 39 Corvettes from the rare 1953 first year model to every year after ending with 1989.

Now they are to be given away a sweepstakes draw:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/23/b...s-contest.html

Good luck to anyone who takes a chance. Maybe a few tickets to fulfill my own fantasy.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Cool- I'm in!

Blog Entries
    I would love to have a 1957 fuel injected- I mean- if I had a choice. I would take anything for the cost of a raffle ticket, but 1953-58 would be my preference.

Blog Entries
    When I was 23 years old, I bought a new 1959 red and white corvette. I had a soft top and a hard top.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    When I was 23 years old, I bought a new 1959 red and white corvette. I had a soft top and a hard top.
    I looked at the article about this in the NYTimes. "One of these things is not like the other." Possibly the most valuable piece in the collection is off to the side, a VW Beetle that may have been painted by Peter Max himself.

Put a 1967, 327 under the tree for me next year.

Cool

Corvettes of all years are real eye candy. Growing up in the late 60's every boy would love to had one. I couldn't afford one until later in life. Bought a 1978 with the glass fastback. Most uncomfortable car I've ever been in. Suspension and seats were so firm it was like riding on a log with wheels. But I sure looked good driving it. I would certainly take another if them are giving them away, mostly to keep and look at.

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    Corvettes of all years are real eye candy. Growing up in the late 60's every boy would love to had one. I couldn't afford one until later in life. Bought a 1978 with the glass fastback. Most uncomfortable car I've ever been in. Suspension and seats were so firm it was like riding on a log with wheels. But I sure looked good driving it. I would certainly take another if them are giving them away, mostly to keep and look at.
    The History Channel (?) has been doing a series of shows about how these cars have been "prepared for sale". I was wondering if they were still running, after having been in storage for so long. Apparently so. Make of that what you will.

if you owned a 78 then you didnt own a corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    The early-mid 60's models were preferable. Those were the ones owned by astronauts.

Blog Entries
    It's funny to compare the performance of the late C3 & C4 Corvettes to modern cars. Even my Accord sedan will run away from most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    It's funny to compare the performance of the late C3 & C4 Corvettes to modern cars. Even my Accord sedan will run away from most of them.
    With modern cars you lack that important sense of danger, like roller blading down the Interstate, or putting a V8 in a Datsun 240Z (i.e. skating on Vaseline without breaking the speed limit on a country road.) Ask Kevin Hart...

And which year did you own that "was" a real Corvette?
    Last edited by julian abram; 01-09-2020 at 11:23 PM.

Just as an aside, that car was the fastest _mass_produced_ car you could buy at the time. One of the inviolable rules of the road is, that there's always somebody faster, someway somehow.

Pop Quiz:
    bfh.jpg84.jpg
    The Buick is an '84 T-Type turbo Regal, anatomically identical to the Grand National. I bought it brand new in Dec. '83...
    The Vette is an '84 I bought well used from the wife's ex of all people.

Which of these 2 cars was the faster 1/4 mile car?

(hint- I could've bought a Corvette back in Dec. '83...)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle