Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Win a Corvette?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Pop Quiz:
    Attachment 423318Attachment 423319
    The Buick is an '84 T-Type turbo Regal, anatomically identical to the Grand National. I bought it brand new in Dec. '83...
    The Vette is an '84 I bought well used from the wife's ex of all people.

Which of these 2 cars was the faster 1/4 mile car?

(hint- I could've bought a Corvette back in Dec. '83...)
    Even the Grand National, by today's standards is only moderately quick when compared to a lot of modern everyday sedans. And the '84 vette is way down there with the minivans & econo cars.

I did win a Corvette, a couple months ago!

Actually, it was given to me by my brother who is a Vette collector. It is a 2002 model, with only 47K miles on it. I always wanted the 2003 Anniversary edition, Almost bought one new, but it never happened. This one is almost the same metallic red color.

It is interesting how many 'normal' people are surprised when I tell them it is 18 years old. It is in great shape for it's age. Also interesting is that any Corvette is recognizable as one, by most people.

By comparison, I also have a same era (2003) Mustang GT convertible, which I much prefer driving over the Vette. Got it six months old and it now has 30K miles on it. The Vette is quicker, but the Mustang is more comfy, and I am not afraid to go over a dip in the road with it. If you ever drove a Vette, you know about the front scraping on dips, driveways, and speed bumps. Gotta face it, I am getting old.

This is my third Vette, having had a '78 also, which I loved, except for it having the heaviest clutch in a vehicle I have owned. Got back from the beach once, holiday weekend, hour and a half in stop and go driving; and my clutch leg was just trembling. Sold it soon after and got an '85 with an automatic. Much improved model, as it should be, C-3's were made a looong time, from '68 to 82, and were past due for upgrading. The '85 had many improvements over the '84 which was the first C-4. There were no 83's.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 01-10-2020 at 1:27 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.