Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nicholson workbench

Smile Nicholson workbench

Hi guys,

I just started to construct my new Nicholson viseless bench.

I purchased some time ago three (very seasoned) planks of Massaranduba, a very hard wood from Brazil but reasonably workable with hand and power tools. Each plank weighs a ton as this hardwood is three times more dense than typical pine and the planks were (actual size) 300 mm (12") x something between 50-55 mm (2") x 3500 mm (13'). After to move them a few times I discovered I am not in a so good fitness as I believed so I called my son to help me at some handling. He is at his early 20s...

I spent time examining each plank and deciding what part I would use for each part of the workbench considering sap, grain direction and thickness of each part of the planks. I used my power (hand) saw to break the planks with some excess for future trim.

I took my selected pieces for bench top and I used my LN jack plane to create a reference true plane. The wood accepted well hand planning, better than I was expecting, if I respect its grain direction and work with very sharp blade and thin slices. It made me work very hard as I had to cut in a region from one of the planks up to 4 mm! It was the first time I was working so big pieces (1700 mm x 300 mm) of very hard wood. After to get a reference surface I went to my (power) thickness plane to finish the job. It looks I have the pieces for my bench top just ready for trim as the thickness and flatness look me very good.

Tomorrow I will continue my adventure as I just stopped, took a shower, one beer and I am currently waiting for the lunch.

As I purchased my current workbench almost 30 years ago, so it is actually the first time I am constructing one workbench. I never was challenged to construct one by myself as I considered it as a "minor project". I was wrong, very wrong: I just felt the challenges to construct a decent workbench is very demanded. I am sure I will learn a lot with it.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

I've thought this would be an excellent workbench since watching Mike Siemsen's video on using one a few years ago. I'll be following your build. You know we love pics too! Good luck with the build!

Osvaldo,

Your post brings a smile both because of its truthfulness and the fact when young building a bench by myself was no problem, later it is nice to have a 20 year old son nearby. I agree with Mike, I hope to see build photographs.

ken

Go Osvaldo! A new bench is a good thing. Thanks for sharing.
    David

In the same vein as Ken, wait until you have parts of the top glued up. Then you will really need help to move thing around. A large top is not only heavy, but awkward to deal with so plan to move it as little as possible. Good luck and yes, we want pictures.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I'm sure I don't need to remind the OP about dust abatement in using power tools on Amazonian hardwoods.

"Bullet wood" is like many dense South American species, in its reluctance to accept traditional glue.

Thanks Jim. I am aware of that. But amongst the (very) hard woods we can find here, massaeanduba is the best one for workability as well to accept traditional glues. As my particular stuff is dried naturally for years I hope I can have better luck. It is accepting better than expected planning both with my LN Jack as well my thickness planner from Makita. I hope it can accept glue as well .(I purchased a gallon of Titebond 3 for that application)... let us see.

I bought some massaeanduba years ago in Phoenix and used it for a table top. Never could figure out what kind of wood it was until this thread. Recognized it immediately in "The Wood Database". I found the dust to be somewhat irritating and it glue up just fine with Tightbond 2. Still using the table 30 years later. I think it'll be good for a bench top.

IMG_0831.jpgIMG_0831.jpgIMG_0830.jpgIMG_0828.jpgIMG_0832.jpgosvaldo cant wait to see your bench. are using any particular bench as a guide? i just finished a bench made of construction grade pine. its was a fun build. i have a unheated shop so i haven't been able to use it much yet. good luck with yours! jerry

I built one for my grandson for Christmas 2 years ago, He was 12.He doesn't get to use it much because his step mother uses it for buffet table in the dinning room After watching Mike Siemsen's video on using one a few I adopted his adjustable cleet. Since it was no real trouble I made it both left and right handed. My grandson is a true heft hander. I will say that it is an easy bench to take apart and makes a good portable bench.

DSC03281.JPG DSC03284.JPG DSC03285.JPGDSC03288.JPG DSC03290.JPG

Tom

Nice bench for the grandson Tom. Thanks for sharing.
    David

My bench is also made out of construction grade yellow pine "tubas" as well. 2x10 and 2x12's straight from the Borg and left to air dry in the shop at least six months until I got tired of tripping over the stack. I have a built-in bench along a side wall that doubles as a radial arm saw infeed-outfeed table composed of two wider (very old) 2x12's screwed down to a frame with a small gap for expansion that I have used for 30+ years that has stayed flat forever. Yours will serve you well Gerald. Thanks for the photos.
    David

thanks david i made that bench 3" taller than my other bench that i made 20 years ago, my eyes aren't what they use to be. jerry

Last update

I just finished the construction of my new workbench. It was a great adventure and now I am better prepared to work with manual tools. I posted in the General Woodworking and Power Tools to cover a broader audience. You can find it thru this link.

Thanks all for the encouragement.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Nicely done.

Will you add a French style "crochet" or use holdfasts exclusively? To answer one of your earlier musings, you're just as strong as ever.

You're just smarter now - smart enough to think like an Egyptian architect. I believe the Earth maintains its orientation due to the weight of Brazillian hardwoods.

Climate change started because y'all exported enough to shift the load...

Kudos