Thread: Central Vacuum for house

Central Vacuum for house

Installed a Hoover Central Vacuum system about 20 years ago, have replaced the switch in the handle and a couple of belts for the power head. Overall very happy with it.
    PROBLEM now is switch is bad again and no longer available, 30' hose is no longer available.
    So now looking for new hose, power head for carpet, etc.
    ANY recommendations on which one to buy or stay away from?
    Thanks in advance
    Ron

Blog Entries
    Take a look at thinkvacuums.com I purchased our new vacuum from them when our Hoover central vac died. It has worked great for over 8 years. I only had to replace the vacuum, the hose and power head are still working.

For 23 years I lived in a house with built in vacuum system. It was large 3 story mostly carpet but a few areas of wood or vinyl. After a few years I began to not like the vacuum system and eventually came to hate it. The hose was just a hassle getting out and moving around from outlet to outlet, the power head for carpet wasn't very easy to use. It didn't give much if any assist when pushing on deep pile carpet.

Eventually I hired cleaning people at different times. It didn't take long until they started bringing their own vacuums. The system collected dirt in a large drum connected to the bottom of a vortex type separator and exhausted outside the house. It was always a little messy emptying and cleaning.

Eventually I moved a few times and at first I bought a canister systems from Sears that was very nice. I gave it away and then tried to buy a replacement. The replacements from Sears did not hold up even though they were the same model. Eventually I bought a high end canister system and will never look back. It is much easier to use and changing the collection bag is a no mess. There are options for filtration and power is top of the line. Works great on hard and carpet floors and includes 7 to 10 year warranty depending on which part.

You might consider trialing a couple canister systems including one high end model. I found that the physical labor involved, ease of use and storage of the canister system was more to my liking than the built in system.

Blog Entries
    Ron, Many years ago a friend of mine owned a small appliance repair shop in San Francisco.

He bought vacuum cleaner hose in long rolls and could remove the fittings from an old hose and install them on the replacement hose.

There are also supply houses specializing in parts no longer available from the original makers.

It may take a bit of searching. You might start by looking into local fix it shops.

One thing to be aware of is there are many dealers who will tell you "it can't be fixed" or "we can't get parts" for the purpose of convincing you to replace something that is working fine other than a need for repair.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've had central vacuums in most of the houses I've lived in over the years. I've always had great service from Central Vacuum Stores in Florida. They have been very helpful and are very happy to help you DIY the installation. It is a family business.

We put in an Electrolux central vac about 13 years ago. My wife and I still agree it was one of the best decisions we ever made for a "modern convenience" in our 1840 house.
    It gets used heavily, every single day. 4 kids and 2 dogs - don't need to say any more than that.
    We got tired of buying the "throw away" piece of junk canister and bag type uprights that could never make it more than a year before dying. We did briefly look at the Kirby machines, but almost twice as much money as the central vac, and you only needed to move a hose and powerhead around.
    The guy at the store told us, that they are designed to give a 20 year service life. We still use it.
    So far, our amortized cost per year is down to about $60.00. It was costing us $2-300 per year with the throw away units.

Thanks to everyone for your replies
    I have approximately $800 which includes repairs, $40 a year. At this time I need a new switch for the handle which is no longer available, upon further inspection the handle is cracked and basically worn out. The power carpet head still works however is used hard and towards the end of life. The pipe is still good and the Vacuum power unit has never given any problems.

So after thinking about the whole situation all day. I have decided to buy new hose with pigtail and a new carpet power head. Just need to decide which one to buy as Hoover no longer sells Central Vacuums.

In January 2009 I remarried, this brought dogs, grandkids, kids into a house that had been 2 adults with one cat. major difference in dirt load. Wife has been using an upright vac for last 6-8 months and finally admits she wants the Central Vac working again. I like that all dirt, smell, etc end up in the garage, I didn't exhaust it outside and don't plan to as it warms the garage in the winter and helps cool it in the summer. Currently use a 30' hose and will be going to a 35' hose. One outlet on 1st floor of a ranch house using powered hose and powerhead for carpet, 2 outlets in the basement with a 25' hose that turns on the vacuum as soon as it is connected, all hard floors. 1/4 of basement is woodshop, slowing taking over more of it. Grandkids still want to play down there so can't get too much of the basement, yet.

Look for a Wessel-Werk brush head; https://www.wessel-werk.com/en/company Made in Germany, built to last. Repair parts are also readily available if ever needed. Hoses seem pretty generic, but good ones are definitely more flexible than cheapies.