Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What tools did Santa bring?

I bought myself a LN #8 plane. I wanted one for years and a used one came up on the classifieds so.... Merry Christmas to me.

I'm also most likely getting a minisplit for my shop. Still working out the details, self install or contractor... 18000 btu or 12000... brand, but having heat and AC will be so nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    had one for 10+ years sits in one spot and never moves. not used every day, works good
    That box has had good reviews on other sites from guys who use them everyday
    Use it and enjoy it, don't beat on it and it will last out your days
    Even the one I didn't move around eventually broke the drawer locks and the chrome plastic drawer trim fell off.

Load one up and wheel it around and they fall apart.

One of the few boxes that can take it are the old snap on taco carts. Not many boxes hold up to industrial maintenance anymore.

Sitting in one spot, they are decent.

Blog Entries
    Sailrite ultrafeed sewing machine. It only does zig-zag and straight stitch but it has the power to go through multiple layers of leather or vinyl. Also, it’s a walking foot machine which means that the presser foot helps advance the material.

my plan is to make some Roorkee chairs but mostly it just seemed that everything I wanted to sew was too thick or heavy for my old ‘70s vintage Montgomery Wards machine.

I got a yost 10" bench vise, a wilton 3" drill press vise, a collet chuck set for the lathe, beal bowl buffing kit, pen mandrel, texturing tool, bench dogs, a few books, and a turner's circle template. I feel fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    They are decent if you don't move them. I have tried them all, the cheap boxes fall apart when moved often.
    Thanks for the heads up,my plan is to leave it in one spot next to my lathe.It will house mostly tool holders,indicators,etc. My old craftsman thats I say bout 40yrs old will have tools that's not for play.Garage Journal give this box thumbs up and say its better than Husky.Don't know about the Kobalt,but it was in my budget.Wish me luck

Blog Entries
    I bought a used Kennedy recently for a very reasonable price. Basically new in appearance.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Dewalt 780 with bench. Bench is a bit big, may look for a smaller solution. Love the shadow cutline!

My wife always knows exactly what tools to get me for Christmas - it's amazing!

IMG_0791.jpg

Our daughter and SIL were visiting last summer. I told the SIL the story of my driving to Spokane to buy some lumber and some Baltic birch plywood where the Baltic birch 1/2" plywood was $25 a sheet versus $45/sheet. Sadly, I didn't have a saw with me and the 5'x5' sheets wouldn't fit into my Honda Pilot. The supplier had a horribly distorted handsaw. Cutting those sheets down to 4' width in one plane with that handsaw took me nearly 45 minutes. Chewing them might have been faster than using that saw. I told the SIL ( an extremely talented carpenter) I was going to buy a battery operated circular saw someday. That was June 2018.

Friday evening the daughter and SIL (residents of Phoenix, AZ) pulled into our driveway. They are on a Christmas vacation driving from Phoenix, to Oklahoma, to Kansas, to Idaho, to two cities in Washington to see children and us during the Christmas/New Year holiday. Soon after arriving the SIL went to the car and brought in presents. Mine consisted of 2 boxes. The first contained the 18V battery with charger, spare blades and the bigger one contained the Makita 6 1/2" 18V circular saw. He said "That shop deserves to have this saw". I thanked him many times for his thoughtfulness and generosity!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I got a new Hegner scroll saw to replace my 1988 one which broke.

I also got some small tools and clamps. I mark the year and who I got clamps from on each one so I can remember each time I use it. Many of my tools have been gifts and I remember each one dearly. I have a set of sockets my wife have me in 1970 the year before we were married.

Incra 48" Story Stick, Leigh RTJ400 Dovetail Jig, a new set of blades for my Jointer/Planer, a few router bits, Porta-Mate Panel Carrier, a mobile clamp rack and a couple of Kreg clamps. Oh and 10 Bessey 50" Parallel Clamps.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Sailrite ultrafeed sewing machine. It only does zig-zag and straight stitch but it has the power to go through multiple layers of leather or vinyl. Also, it’s a walking foot machine which means that the presser foot helps advance the material.

my plan is to make some Roorkee chairs but mostly it just seemed that everything I wanted to sew was too thick or heavy for my old ‘70s vintage Montgomery Wards machine.
    Santa was good to you.

It's a power tool, but exactly a standard one. Husquvarna 371xp w/a 36" bar and ripping chain. Milling is in my immediate future, which will lead to even more woodworking.

Not a woodworking tool directly, but I bought myself this on Thursday. Besides the obvious standard uses, I can now lift and position some logs for milling, and also lift and move around those large old iron machines I already have and the ones I might get in the future. My back already feels better!

Ok. Vinito wins the Coolest Christmas Present Award. Hard to top a backhoe for Christmas!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”