Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What tools did Santa bring?

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Ok. Vinito wins the Coolest Christmas Present Award. Hard to top a backhoe for Christmas!
    Not only is it a backhoe...it's a trackhoe! Vroom!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Santa brought a Festool HL 850 E-F-Plus planer and several other Festool accessories.

The wife saw aI'd added an (empty) Systainer 3 to my Amazon list, clicked on it and gave to me on X-Mas day. Turns out Amazon mistakenly shipped her a Systainer 3 with an ETS 150/3 EQ-Plus inside, all for $85.

Huzzah!

A new (2019) Silverado

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    The wife saw aI'd added an (empty) Systainer 3 to my Amazon list, clicked on it and gave to me on X-Mas day. Turns out Amazon mistakenly shipped her a Systainer 3 with an ETS 150/3 EQ-Plus inside, all for $85.

Huzzah!

Wow. And I thought the trackhoe was the coolest thing on this thread...

Blog Entries
    OK, where is the like button???
    NOW you tell me...

None this year, at least for the shop. For the kitchen Santa brought a couple nice All-Clad pans that have already seen use. We braved the outlet mall the day after Christmas and added a Le Creuset Dutch Oven to the arsenal too. For me, cooking is like woodworking, when I have well designed and well tuned tools I tend to bring my "A" game. The flip side is that my mistakes look well crafted.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    None this year, at least for the shop. For the kitchen Santa brought a couple nice All-Clad pans that have already seen use. We braved the outlet mall the day after Christmas and added a Le Creuset Dutch Oven to the arsenal too. For me, cooking is like woodworking, when I have well designed and well tuned tools I tend to bring my "A" game. The flip side is that my mistakes look well crafted.
    Glad to see I'm not the only one. I didn't get the carbon steel pan I asked "Santa" for ("Santa" thinks I have too many pots and pans already and she may be correct LOL), but I did get an absolutely wonderful book called "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat" that's both instructive and reinforcing for a lot of what I've learned over the past decade of increasingly more serious cooking. You'll really enjoy the enameled cast iron Dutch Oven...great to have. I'm a fan of enameled cast iron, too...I happen to use Staub, but what's most important is how great the stuff is to use. They are my "workhorse" cooking products for sure and even more-so for burner to oven use which is quite frequent in my case.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

In addition to the 18V circular saw, if books are considered tools, which I do, I got 3 books relating to G&G and Craftsman style furniture and the techniques. I am planning a new dining table for the wife and chairs to go with it. I plan on trying to incorporate the Craftsman/G&G style into that butterfly extension table.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    In addition to the 18V circular saw, if books are considered tools, which I do, I got 3 books relating to G&G and Craftsman style furniture and the techniques. I am planning a new dining table for the wife and chairs to go with it. I plan on trying to incorporate the Craftsman/G&G style into that butterfly extension table.
    Books count!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    A drill press table which was a great help in drilling 136 holes in 1/4" wheels I made for the 1896 Ford Quadricycle I'm making.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dennis

I’ve wanted a excavator front end loader bobcat and forklift forever. Pretty sure I’m gonna get to keep wanting. Pretty awesome purchase.

A nice set of Narex chisels (metric) , shop vac, and a selection of hardwoods to make some more cutting boards.

Lamello Zeta P2 and the whole kit of connectors and biscuits.

Wow, thanks for the supportive comments about the excavator. I apologize that I screwed up and admitted that I bought it rather than Santa bringing it.

These things do come in handy. I got it for a pretty good price so it's not as unreachable as you might think. Especially if you're not afraid of some mechanickin', you can consistently keep taking a look at the usual sources and sometimes a good deal pops up. I like something a little older (though not ancient) because they are simpler to maintain as well as costing less. Having said that, it would be rare to not spend a few thousand on one, but you never know. I lucked out because this one is 20 years old but only has 1100 or so hours on it! It's an accurate reading too. I'm not sure, but I might end up exceeding that over the next 20 years even as little as I'll probably be using the thing just for my personal uses.

If you do get one, keep it hidden! I've already had 3 neighbors ask me for some free work. I'm to old to fall into saying "yes" to that trap, but I probably do work cheap anyway. I do everything else cheap, so why should that change?