Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What tools did Santa bring?

A Beall Buffing System, a Hunter Viceroy chisel and an invoice from American Express ( this confirms what I had previously thought, Santa is a Hoax ).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Santa didn’t bring me squat, because if I need/want a tool I buy it when I have the need/want instead of waiting for Christmas. Because as Darcy said in the other thread, Christmas is for the kids!
    It's hard making sure my wife's parents don't get me anything. It took two years to get them to understand that whatever they were going to spend on me to just put it in my kids college accounts. I literally need nothing and want nothing. I am not important, give it to my kids, they deserve it.

Santa didn’t bring me squat, because if I need/want a tool I buy it when I have the need/want instead of waiting for Christmas. Because as Darcy said in the other thread, Christmas is for the kids!
    I buy whenever I want to, too. Christmas is when I get stuff I'd "like" but can't quite justify myself into buying all year long. Got an LV Shooting plane that way a couple years back and a TFWW Bowsaw that way last year. I'm a happy guy.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-26-2019 at 1:38 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I see it similarly, that Christmas isn't about me. But I can't persuade my family to give me nothing, so I try to keep my wishes modest. As far as tools, this year Santa brought me the Veritas miniature router plane. I hope it'll be useful for detail hand work.
    Chuck Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    I see it similarly, that Christmas isn't about me. But I can't persuade my family to give me nothing, so I try to keep my wishes modest. As far as tools, this year Santa brought me the Veritas miniature router plane. I hope it'll be useful for detail hand work.
    Let me clarify a little. I'm not trying to say or imply that Christmas is about me. Like others, I take care of my loved ones and friends first and well. Like most, I go to work all day and AFTER I've taken good care of them, I enjoy indulging myself with a small extravagance. I hope that makes a little more sense.
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-26-2019 at 2:07 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Received a couple of goodies for my shop. Got the plunge base for my Colt Router, a new Milwaukee 12V Drill/Impact Drive set and finally, a PEC 12 x 8 square. The square pretty much completes my needs in that department, as I already have a small PEC, and recently was able to purchase a "used" Woodpecker 16 x 26

Blog Entries
    My youngest daughter comes up with things for her and her husband's 2 young kids to make for me.
    That's such a good thing to teach young kids.
    And the gifts are very special to me.
    A daughter like that is worth more than a whole shop full of new, top-of-the-line machines.
    I have 3 great kids and 8 terrific grandkids.
    Santa can't top that.

around Thanksgiving I got a smoking hot steal of a deal on a Milwaukee panel saw on ebay, less than $400, looks like never used, did have some very light sawdust on it. No scratches, full print on blade, no signs of wear anywhere. So over black friday weekend added every accessory you can buy for it, along with a used in extremely good condition Forrest blade. Had it at work until 12/23 when it came home and neighbor moved it down in the basement for me. Grandkids here until 12/29 so will spend 12/31 putting all accessories on it.
    Also got a dust collection kit for the Safety Speed Cut H-5 in the garage, a used Grizzly 2 hp dust collector. Neighbor brought me a gallon of Laqueer and a gallon of Sanding Sealer from out of state.

Blog Entries
    I got a JessEm router table setup a couple weeks ago. Im calling it xmas for myself.

Mark, unless things have changed, the original K-cups were not recyclable, but the Nespresso pods are. Nespresso will send you a pre-labeled, pre-paid shipping bag to use for return of the pods to them for recycling. If you are into recycling, they make it as easy as it can be. The Keurig can also be used with a separate reusable (inexpensive) coffee ground pod that can be filled with whatever brand grounds you desire. Both do offer a fresh cup of coffee every time as opposed to a pot of several-cup coffee that sits on a warmer for a while. Of course, the Nespresso is espresso and may or may not be to your liking. I have gone to a simple pour over type one-cup coffee maker for simplicity and freshness. Enjoy your new found addiction.
    David

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    My youngest daughter comes up with things for her and her husband's 2 young kids to make for me.
    That's such a good thing to teach young kids.
    And the gifts are very special to me.
    A daughter like that is worth more than a whole shop full of new, top-of-the-line machines.
    I have 3 great kids and 8 terrific grandkids.
    Santa can't top that.
    You hit the nail right on the head there buddy. And having grandkids that want to spend shop time with you is icing on the cake. Whenever my 15 yo granddaughter goes in the shop she takes a deep breathe & says "I love the smell in here".

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Mark, unless things have changed, the original K-cups were not recyclable, but the Nespresso pods are. Nespresso will send you a pre-labeled, pre-paid shipping bag to use for return of the pods to them for recycling. If you are into recycling, they make it as easy as it can be. The Keurig can also be used with a separate reusable (inexpensive) coffee ground pod that can be filled with whatever brand grounds you desire. Both do offer a fresh cup of coffee every time as opposed to a pot of several-cup coffee that sits on a warmer for a while. Of course, the Nespresso is espresso and may or may not be to your liking. I have gone to a simple pour over type one-cup coffee maker for simplicity and freshness. Enjoy your new found addiction.
    Thanks David.

The Keurig K-Cups are also recyclable, you just have to cut off the tops and wash them out. I ordered the free Nespresso recycle bags with my coffee order today.

Nespresso Virtuo machines can make coffee as well as espresso. Interesting tech, the Virtuo class 'pods' have a bar code under the rim that tells the machine the optimum amount of water to put through each particular pod. Pods are made for single and double shot espressos and 7.8 and 14 oz. coffees.

My machine came with a separate Nespresso milk frother.

My first 2 cups of cappuccino today (1.35 oz. espresso + ~ 3 oz. of frothed milk) were fantastic. It exceeded my expectations. The pods, unfortunately, are more expensive than K-Cups.

We'll see how the Keurig K-Cafe espresso machine works when we open more presents tomorrow . We're still waiting for some family to arrive.
    Mark McFarlane

I treated myself to my first new tool cabinet,yes its from HF but its pretty dang good.Now if they would put the top half on sale I would be all over it also.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    I treated myself to my first new tool cabinet,yes its from HF but its pretty dang good.Now if they would put the top half on sale I would be all over it also.
    They are decent if you don't move them. I have tried them all, the cheap boxes fall apart when moved often.

had one for 10+ years sits in one spot and never moves. not used every day, works good
    That box has had good reviews on other sites from guys who use them everyday
    Use it and enjoy it, don't beat on it and it will last out your days