Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Two Jessum Router Lifts?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    61

    Two Jessum Router Lifts?

    JessEm makes two router lifts and both are well regarded. The Router-R-Lift II and the Master-R-Lift II
    I am not a professional woodworker. I consider myself a mid level to advanced hobyist.

    What would I miss if I bought the less expensive model over their top of the line?

    I will need to get a router motor for it so compatability is not a huge factor. Ease of use, precision and durabilty and weight to smaller degree are important to me.
    I will make my own custom top and fence system Adapted to my table saw.

    So if someone is familiar with both I would appreciate your opinion.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    River Falls WI
    Posts
    411
    The difference is the size of the router you can use. The Router-R-Lift II takes the smaller routers in the 2.5 HP versions, the bigger-Master-R-Lift II can take the 3.5 HP routers.
    I have had the older Rockler FX for many years and like it. This year I bought the Incra Master lift, which is the Master-R-Lift II. The Incra comes with all the inserts. Still building the table for that one. OK, I haven't started it, but will soon. The big routers allow you to run the big bits. Still debating on keeping the smaller one still. Dan

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    61
    That is very helpful information. I was considering a bigger motor because I am thinking about removing some larger chunks, maybe even some raised panels.

    I can see my budget just doubled roughly but I will have something to pass down to my son(s) or daughter....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    50,984
    Going with the larger motor capacity is, IMHO, the better choice because it gives you more flexibility in the kind of work you can do, both functionally and safely.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Going with the larger motor capacity is, IMHO, the better choice because it gives you more flexibility in the kind of work you can do, both functionally and safely.
    I am sure you are correct and more than likely when I do this it will be a lift for a bigger motor. I have a very compact and stowable shop so the large helps in one area and kinda hurts in the storage department. No such thing as too much HP though ..lol

  6. #6
    I went with the PowerTek motor through Jessem. Remote speed/power control is a nice feature.

    Combined with the MastRLiftII its a nice package but yes, will set you back a few bucks.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    I went with the PowerTek motor through Jessem. Remote speed/power control is a nice feature.

    Combined with the MastRLiftII its a nice package but yes, will set you back a few bucks.
    I looked on the Jessem site and could not find the motor you mention. The site seems to a little difficult to find things. I wanted to look at their template for router plate and wasn't terribly easy to find.
    If you have a link I would appreciate it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKissick View Post
    I looked on the Jessem site and could not find the motor you mention. The site seems to a little difficult to find things. I wanted to look at their template for router plate and wasn't terribly easy to find.
    If you have a link I would appreciate it.
    They took it off their website for whatever reason- it was constantly on back order, and reviews were a mixed bag, some less than favorable. Unsure if they are discontinuing it or just took it down due to long back order.
    Hopefully they are getting the problems straightened out and re-releasing, Iíve had my eyes on it for quite a while.

    https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/j...e-control-box/
    Last edited by Adam Grund; 12-26-2019 at 6:25 PM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKissick View Post
    I looked on the Jessem site and could not find the motor you mention. The site seems to a little difficult to find things. I wanted to look at their template for router plate and wasn't terribly easy to find.
    If you have a link I would appreciate it.
    I also have the Master lift II with the Pow-R-Tek Router... Love. It!
    It is my understanding that they took it off the web site until they can fulfill all the back orders. When I ordered my Pow-R-Tek Router last January from Woodcraft it was back ordered for 3 months.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKissick View Post
    JessEm makes two router lifts and both are well regarded. The Router-R-Lift II and the Master-R-Lift II
    I am not a professional woodworker. I consider myself a mid level to advanced hobyist.

    What would I miss if I bought the less expensive model over their top of the line?

    I will need to get a router motor for it so compatability is not a huge factor. Ease of use, precision and durabilty and weight to smaller degree are important to me.
    I will make my own custom top and fence system Adapted to my table saw.

    So if someone is familiar with both I would appreciate your opinion.
    Thanks guys for all the info which led me to another alternative which seems like a really good one.

    Purchase a Triton TRA001 router, the Kreg mounting plate with the adjusters and a template probably from JessEm. From a cost and versatility perspective seems like a good way to go. This would run me about $350 instead of $800'ish.

    Am I missing something in my analysis?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Carlisle, Pa
    Posts
    285
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKissick View Post
    Thanks guys for all the info which led me to another alternative which seems like a really good one.

    Purchase a Triton TRA001 router, the Kreg mounting plate with the adjusters and a template probably from JessEm. From a cost and versatility perspective seems like a good way to go. This would run me about $350 instead of $800'ish.

    Am I missing something in my analysis?
    I have the Triton router setup in my old table. It was a cheeper lift substitute setup which got me by. I recently purchased a JessEm Master-R-Lift II. Night and day difference. The Triton router collects dust inside its casing preventing it from lifting up all the way. Lifting it up all the way is what engages the spinal lock. Pain in the butt getting the dust out. Had very good dust collecting connected to it and used it every time.
    M
    odern router lifts are NICE.

    I spoke with JessEm on the phone and they put me on the
    Pow-R-Tek Router waiting list. Pow-R-Tek Router are expected in late February 2020.
    Last edited by Curtis Myers; 12-27-2019 at 7:46 AM.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis Myers View Post
    I have the Triton router setup in my old table. It was a cheeper lift substitute setup which got me by. I recently purchased a JessEm Master-R-Lift II. Night and day difference. The Triton router collects dust inside its casing preventing it from lifting up all the way. Lifting it up all the way is what engages the spinal lock. Pain in the butt getting the dust out. Had very good dust collecting connected to it and used it every time.
    M
    odern router lifts are NICE.

    I spoke with JessEm on the phone and they put me on the
    Pow-R-Tek Router waiting list. Pow-R-Tek Router are expected in late February 2020.
    Good info, appreciate you sharing your direct experience with both choices. More to think about...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    49
    I also went the Triton router / Incra mounting plate (similar enough to the Kreg) and I really wish I hadn't. The setup is so sloppy and inaccurate that I rarely use it, even in situations where a router table would be best.

    The Triton router, while it *can* be used in a lift, isn't best in a lift. On mine the lifting mechanism binds easily and sometimes gets so stuck that I have to completely remove the router from the table to clean it out. Ontop of that, the amount of disassembly you have to do to the Triton to make it work upside down basically means you won't use it as a regular router anymore (just in case you were thinking that's a benefit).

    If I had to do it over again I'd get a motorized lift or something similar and a dedicated variable speed motor with an external control box. Now that I haven't I'll basically be doing this purchase twice.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    631
    I just bought a Bosch 1617evs for $129 and plan to mount it on a Router-R-Lift II. Seems like a good match.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grefe View Post
    I also went the Triton router / Incra mounting plate (similar enough to the Kreg) and I really wish I hadn't. The setup is so sloppy and inaccurate that I rarely use it, even in situations where a router table would be best.

    The Triton router, while it *can* be used in a lift, isn't best in a lift. On mine the lifting mechanism binds easily and sometimes gets so stuck that I have to completely remove the router from the table to clean it out. Ontop of that, the amount of disassembly you have to do to the Triton to make it work upside down basically means you won't use it as a regular router anymore (just in case you were thinking that's a benefit).

    If I had to do it over again I'd get a motorized lift or something similar and a dedicated variable speed motor with an external control box. Now that I haven't I'll basically be doing this purchase twice.
    Okay, you guys have sufficiently ah-skeered me away from that setup.

    When I am ready I'll see if the budget affords the bigger or smaller JessEm setup. Until I redo my electrical in the shop the bigger routers will probably trip my shared 15 amp breaker. Electrical upgrade is also high on my "to-do" list. Always been a pretty happy Kreg customer, maybe relook at their lift too.

    Thanks all for your valued help and experiences.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •