Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teak Outdoor Chair

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Teak Outdoor Chair

Hello all..

I am interested in building a teak outdoor chair for ourselves designed and build by Michael Van Beuren called "San Miquelito Armchair". Has anyone ever seen free or paid plans for such a chair?

Also having a bit of a problem deciding of how much $$$$ teak lumber to obtain. The chair measures: H=31", W=28", D=29", Seat height=12". I figured that I might need 17bdf !!??

Appreciate your input and help for this winter project.

cheers...
    Achtung: Schlau Holz

Google provides a pic of the chair: https://www.luteca.com/seating/san-m...ir-znssk-4nk32

If you can't find plans, you might go ahead anyhow. That site I linked to has a photo of the chair from the side. That is, all the angles are clear. You also know some overall dimensions, so between the two you should be able to draw your own plans.

If drawing your own plans and leaping immediately to $$$$ teak makes you nervous, you could first make a prototype with nice cheap poplar. The prototype will either confirm your drawings, or show you where you want to modify them.

Excellent suggestions regarding making a prototype using cheap poplar or equivalent and going from there. Now I find that teak is a bit $$$$; cheapest I could find was $39 bdf. No luck in finding rough sawn teak. I thought of an alternative... Western Red Cedar... of course one has to give it an occasional oiling through the years, but do you think it's too soft?

cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by Elmer Hayes View Post
    Excellent suggestions regarding making a prototype using cheap poplar or equivalent and going from there. Now I find that teak is a bit $$$$; cheapest I could find was $39 bdf. No luck in finding rough sawn teak. I thought of an alternative... Western Red Cedar... of course one has to give it an occasional oiling through the years, but do you think it's too soft?

cheers...
    I generally don't use softwoods for interior furniture because it scratches and dents too easily. But exterior furniture realistically is more like rustic furniture. The sun and rain are going to beat on it, so in a few years it is going to be, well, outdoors furniture. There are zillions of Adirondack chairs out there made from softwood, and they look just fine for their purpose. That's a long way of saying that Western Red Cedar will be okay.

I would not use cedar. Look for teak "shorts" which should be significantly cheaper. Even consider plantation teak, cheaper yet.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    I would not use cedar. Look for teak "shorts" which should be significantly cheaper. Even consider plantation teak, cheaper yet.
    At my local hardwood dealers, wild-grown teak is at least $40 per bdft. Shorts, which they say are plantation grown, were around $35 per bdft the last time I bought any.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    ... Shorts, which they say are plantation grown, were around $35 per bdft the last time I bought any.
    Shorts are very simply short, not full-length boards. This has nothing at all to do with plantation grown.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Thank you all, much appreciated. I'll see what the Frau wants. Found shorts on AZ Craigslist for $20 bdf and will call to see how "short" they are. It's wild Thai teak.

Merry Xmas to you all and a great slide into the New Year.

cheers...

Yes, I understand what a short is. The seller says the shorts they're selling are plantation grown.

Blog Entries
    I thought of an alternative... Western Red Cedar... of course one has to give it an occasional oiling through the years, but do you think it's too soft?

cheers...
    Western Red Cedar is an excellent choice for making out door furniture. I made a yard swing for my in-laws nearly 20 years ago as a gift. The A-frame is made of treated lumber and just had one leg replaced this past summer. The frame resides outdoors year round. The swing itself is made entirely from western red cedar with all stainless steel hardware. It has never been oiled or otherwise finished and has been cleaned once or twice during that time. It has been outdoors ever year from mid April to late September here in northwestern PA. It is fully functional, no sign of rot or cracking. It is currently spending the winter in my garage and will return to the front yard again this spring.
    swing.jpg
    This photo was taken right before the first time it was cleaned to remove some surface algae.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-26-2019 at 8:26 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thank you Lee for your convince! Do you think that Western Red Cedar or Western Red Wood so named would make good furniture for this: https://www.luteca.com/seating/san-m...ir-znssk-4nk32 ? especially the back rests which will be curved. Will curve cut several solid strips from a WRC(western red cedar) slab instead of trying to bend each piece starting with glued 1/8" strips.

Couldn't open you photo as I don't have advanced permission according to the rules.

cheers...

Western red cedar dust is known to cause cancer. Not trying to talk you out of anything, but you may want to protect your airways while you are cutting, sanding and cleaning up. Good luck with your project.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Thank you David for reminding me! Am aware but often forget .

cheers...

Blog Entries
    Thank you Lee for your convince! Do you think that Western Red Cedar or Western Red Wood so named would make good furniture for this: https://www.luteca.com/seating/san-m...ir-znssk-4nk32 ? especially the back rests which will be curved. Will curve cut several solid strips from a WRC(western red cedar) slab instead of trying to bend each piece starting with glued 1/8" strips.

Couldn't open you photo as I don't have advanced permission according to the rules.

cheers...
    Only contributors can view photos. Being a contributor helps keep the site alive and costs a minimum of $6.00 for an entire year.

My swing has a curved seat contour, but not both directions as shown in your link. I don't know if you can steam bend Western Red Cedar. I don't know if "Western Red Wood" is the Western Red Cedar or if it is truly Redwood. Redwood is another excellent wood for use in making outdoor furniture.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute