Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: breaker, receptacle, plug for 3 hp dust collector

However, if I as a licensed master electrician of 40 years, were to wire someone's shop with all 30 amp receptacles and tell them they can plug anything they want into it would be getting an angry phone call and bitched at when their saw burned up

In order for an electrical code to be effective, it needs to be applied in all cases rather than allowing changes because they are safe in a certain limited set of circumstances. At the beginning of this thread, me and anyone with any experience agreed that our original poster doesn't have a safety problem with his plug and receptacle. I even said so. That isn't the point.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 01-03-2020 at 8:44 PM.

Blog Entries
    Sorry to have stirred up such a debate! :-)

I heard back from both manufacturers. Grizzly wants 20 amp breaker/plug/receptacle for the G0691 and Woodtek wants 30 amp breaker/plug/receptacle. Off to the hardware store to grab what I need to make the adjustments to match these requirements.

Note.. while a licensed electrician wired my setup, my outbuilding is considered "agricultural accessory structure" in my township and does not get inspected... So, while an inspector didn't alert me to an issue, my spidey sense told me that his 30 amp breaker > 10 gauge wire > 20 amp receptacle setup wasn't right, hence my additional questions and research. (this was my first and last time using this particular electrician)

My new model going forward is to call the manufacturer for their recommendation anytime the manual is at all vague (which I find is often the case) and then match breaker, wire size, receptacle, and plug accordingly.

NEW QUESTION: I read on here someplace, but can't find it now, some instruction on how to setup remote switching for a 30 amp receptacle... I think it was a relay (or something like that) with a run of the mill light remote. My new cyclone setup places the on-switch at about 8.5 feet above ground, so I can just barely reach it.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

I always thought that the whole thing about using 15 amp receptacles on 20 amp circuits was a very strange thing indeed. It was also covered by having 120v appliances that draw more than 15 amps to use a 20 amp plug, with one leg 90 degrees to a more common 120v plug, so that it could only be plugged into a 20 amp receptacle that can take that shape plug.

I use the remote switch that Woodworkers Supply sells, with several remote button placed in convenient spots around the shop. The first one stopped working a little after the first year. They sent me another one, that got here on the second day, and that one has been working for about ten years now, with multiple uses most days.

Blog Entries
    The one from woodworkers supply... does it accept a 6-30 plug? most that I'm finding will only accept 6-20
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    NEW QUESTION: I read on here someplace, but can't find it now, some instruction on how to setup remote switching for a 30 amp receptacle... I think it was a relay (or something like that) with a run of the mill light remote. My new cyclone setup places the on-switch at about 8.5 feet above ground, so I can just barely reach it.
    I's common to use a contactor (a type of relay) to switch a 240v circuit for things like a dust collection system. One side of the contactor is the switched load to the tool. The other side of the contactor is the "control" side. Energizing the control side "flips the switch" for the load side. Control is typically either low voltage or 120v. (Mine is 120v) That permits you to get creative with how you physically perform the switching...it can even be an inexpensive remote control setup if that's what you prefer. I personally use a centrally located wall switch for my dust collection system. The contactor you use must be rated for at least the amperage provision for your circuit. The control side is your choice. My setup is provisioned like this, but there are multiple ways to handle and my particular contactor is 30 amp on the load side.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks like they've changed it slightly, by looks, but mine is over ten years old. I think the yellow cover is the same. The plug that came built onto the DC power cord plugged into it, but I haven't looked at those plugs for ten years, so couldn't tell you anything about them. I think I changed the plug on the controller, but I can't remember what came on it, since I use twist-locks on all my 240v supply cords.

It's hung on the DC since the day we brought them home, so power source coming to it doesn't have to be remotely controlled.

I expect mine is the same one as this. I ordered several of the spare controllers.
    https://woodworker.com/220v-dust-col...su-172-847.asp

edited to add: If you set up a Pro Account with them, you get a pretty good discount on everything, and they have a separate website for pros. I like dealing with them because they're close to me, knowledgeable, helpful, and pleasant to deal with.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-04-2020 at 4:23 PM.