Thread: Still on the steep part of the learning curve

Still on the steep part of the learning curve

I’m still on the steeper part of the learning curve, so I find it gratifying to be able to make something like this in my limited shop time with an eager and interested preschooler helping Daddy the whole time. Especially gratifying is seeing how much my skills (if they can be called that, yet) improve with each project I make.
    FF71FA95-D05C-4A27-B23B-0151A214605E.jpg
    E459F9B1-1CCE-4964-950D-F83F1A90E570.jpg
    My simple joinery is improving, too.
    20CA3012-3299-4778-BE33-C6C9B3C90EA2.jpg
    I wouldn’t call it worthy of an art gallery, but it makes me happy (particularly with how much it’s improved over the first one) and it’s done in time for Christmas.

Now to finish the corner bookshelf and move on to making a bed (unless something else comes up in the meantime).

To me, it looks beautiful, crisp, and precise.

Blog Entries
    Especially gratifying is seeing how much my skills (if they can be called that, yet) improve with each project I make.
    That is normal. The piece does look well done.

My first dovetails on a box or drawer do not look as good as the last ones. My way around this is to make the ones that do not show on a drawer first.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I don't even know what it is Michael, but it is impressive. I think the slope is nowhere as steep as you think it is. Nice work on "The Thing".
    David

Thanks, Anuj, Jim, amd David for your kind words. “The Thing,” as David put it, is a table-top picture frame for a 5x7 inch photograph. It’ll be holding a recent family photo for my mother-in-law.

Looks great to me too. Nice job. Keep building and sharing the pictures.

I think every single time I walk in my shop, I’m staring a huge learning curve in the face so I get it.

I agree looks great.

And I couldn’t agree more with the statement that ever time I enter the shop I’m learning and getting better. There will always be a laying curve unless you just build the same thing over and over and over again. I’m a cabinet maker by trade but have been lucky enough to get projects that require similar but different approaches regarding execution.

When I think back “not so long ago” to simple tasks that challenged me simply because I had never done them I can think it’s either silly or I can think wow how much I have learnt in a very short time.

Keep at it and you’ll be amazed you can build anything you want if you are so motivated. And if your patient with high expectations it can even come out nice.

Nicely done.

Kudos

I think I see a little more then just someone practicing their wood working, in your picture frame Michael. You have brought up a wonderful thought, in the intent of the message in the words, and expressed it in a very humble way to the receiver of the frame.
    Nicely done.