Thread: Wood identification help - some type of maple?

Wood identification help - some type of maple?

Hi all,

Found this amazing figure wood in the middle in my scrap pile. Anyone know the species? Some type of maple? for comparison that is curly maple on the sides.

Thanks!

IMG_3378 (1).jpg

The top and bottom pieces just look like flat sawn hard maple to me, if it’s curly it is very low grade. The center piece looks to be old growth flat sawn hard maple heart wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mazzino View Post
    Hi all,

Found this amazing figure wood in the middle in my scrap pile. Anyone know the species? Some type of maple? for comparison that is curly maple on the sides.

Thanks!

IMG_3378 (1).jpg
    How hard is it? Can you dent it with your fingernail?

It kind of looks like flat sawn birch heartwood. It can be as red as cherry sometimes, and flat sawn it can have a real nice flame figure. It could possibly be maple, but maple heartwood usually doesn't quite have that color. Cherry is a possibility too.

I used a piece of birch plywood with grain and color like that in my cherry kitchen. I was the only one that knew that piece wasn't cherry.

Resembles some Olive ash burl veneer I have without a large number of knotholes.

Jim

I've seen some wild grain like that in Oak veneer that was rotary cut. No idea about the species. I concur with a previous post that the flanking pieces are not curly figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mazzino View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks!
    Try this, section 7 and beyond:
    https://www.wood-database.com/wood-a...ication-guide/