Thread: Apollo 700+ HVLP Sprayer?

Apollo 700+ HVLP Sprayer?

I ran across an Apollo 700+ HVLP sprayer (compressor only) today for sale and thought it might be useful for spraying finishes on some woodworking projects. Nothing about it turned up in an online search. Any input or suggestions on it? What would be a fair price for it? It doesn't look like it has ever been used.

As far as I can tell from the web, the Apollo 700 is a gun designed to run from a turbine, not a compressor. If you have a big compressor with enough air volume to run a sprayer, you should be looking for an HVLP gun called a conversion gun. If you buy that Apollo 700, you'll also need to acquire a turbine to run it.

I ended up purchasing the Apollo 700+. It only included the turbine and hose. I'll have to get an HVLP gun to go along with it. It should eventually be a good setup for spraying low viscosity materials like shellac, stains, etc. I never realized that turbine type sprayers existed. The new Apollo 7700T looks to be a good candidate for a spray gun. It can be used with a turbine or compressor if necessary and has 3 different feeding options. This might be a step in the right direction in improving the finishes on my woodworking projects.

Have a chat with Jeff Jewitt about gun options...he might be able to come up with a very nice solution for you, including support for the 3M PPS system which I've come to love.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Have a chat with Jeff Jewitt about gun options...he might be able to come up with a very nice solution for you, including support for the 3M PPS system which I've come to love.
    Thanks Jim! I emailed Jeff today and look forward to learn about what he suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    Thanks Jim! I emailed Jeff today and look forward to learn about what he suggests.
    That's great. There's no rule that says you have to run an Apollo gun on an Apollo Turbine and Jeff should have some good ideas for you. While I'm not a turbine user, he did set me up with a new gun earlier in 2019 that I'm extremely pleased with and for a reasonable bundled price. John T made that recommendation to me and I'm glad I listened.
    --

Jeff returned my email with a recommendation for a spray gun but soon afterwards the seller of the turbine found the original gun that came with it and contacted me. It's an Apollo Series 5000 bleeder type gun in new never used condition, which by coincidence seems similar to the one Jeff recommended. I can't wait to give the setup a try. Thanks again for everyone that answered my questions. I've never used a turbine sprayer nor a bleeder type gun so this should be fun.

I'd be surprised if Jeff recommended a bleeder...but I'm not turbine-savvy.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'd be surprised if Jeff recommended a bleeder...but I'm not turbine-savvy.
    He didn't specifically recommend a bleeder or non-bleeder but because my turbine didn't have an air relief valve he assumed I would be looking for the former. After reading some of the Apollo online literature it appears they think one doesn't have an advantage over the other in terms of finish quality. I'm hoping that's the case with my experience. Again, should be fun trying something new.