Thread: Personalized wooden nickels?

Personalized wooden nickels?

Some time ago I saw an ad for wood rounds that were inscribed with the same type of message the branding iron folks use "From the workshop of...." etc. It would get glued into your finished product using a Forstner bit to create a recess. Can't locate the vendor with a google search, Anyone know it? The branding iron approach isn't working for me.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

I’ve seen them advertised at some wood store but can’t find it. However these are found via google search.

https://m.4imprint.com/product/12945...gIIlPD_BwE:G:s

here you go. Knew I saw it somewhere. They call them medallions.

https://www.highlandwoodworking.com/...opofblank.aspx
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 12-23-2019 at 3:59 PM.

Thanks Greg! That's exactly what I was looking for.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

These medallions are often made by folks with lasers for woodworkers, typically in 1" or 25mm size. I do subcontract work for some folks and recently got a quote for medallions from a local acquaintenace I use for laser and embroidery work. Based on that, I'm betting the market price will probably be in the $2-3 per medallion range, depending on the quantity ordered for a single run of say 100. But that's just one source. See if you can find someone local to do batches for you. If you can provide the artwork, that will also save you money, but be sure you understand the file format/drawing format they want.

The price for Greg's source is really good given the large quantity as long as the complexity desired is available at that cost. Economies of scale are at play here. The samples are not as finely done as would be the case with full custom as in my first paragraph.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-23-2019 at 5:19 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When I was a kid ,a town named Altivista ,in Virginia had a big celebration for an aniversery.They had a bunch of nickles made that were
    wooden and "legal tender".... In that town. I have no knowledge of how that worked. The "nickles" were about the size
    of a silver dollar and had an experration date. I don't know who made them or how the the details were worked out.

I purched some from a Fellow Creeker a few years ago. Had the year on it and a catch phrase. Also had a artsy hand plane pic. I forget who it was.

Jim,

Ask your question in the Classifieds Forum there are plenty of Laser Engraver Operators who can make custom medallions here.

Someone posted this awhile ago, metal medallions :-)
    http://www.signaturemedallions.com/
    WoodsShop

I bought a cheap laser (less than $100) to make them and onset them on the back of some projects.
    220687973_20191118_110800(Medium).thumb.jpg.5bcbe5c01b820e2646dc39dc81eb4aef.jpg