Thread: 5” dust hose question

5” dust hose question

I’m in a new shop where piping for dust collection is no longer an option. I need some kind of adapter that will let me connect 5” flex hose directly to the 4” plastic ports on all my machines. Lots of reducers out there, but I can’t find one that’ll let me attach the 5” hose on one end and slide the other end over the tool ports. Any suggestions?

Jason,I prefer the tapered" Spun" metal versions . I get my fittings from Spiralmfg.com. In my shop I have changed port sizes on some machines to bigger ones,(5" or 6"). Also when I have used the reducers,I then go with a "fernco" rubber plumbing connector to hook up to the four inch ports. Hope this helps.

Jason, two things that have worked for me are
    local hardware store with metal duct work reducer 5" to 4" or
    "Ken Craft " has metal duct work reducers also.
    https://www.kencraftcompany.com/prod...aper-reducers/

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    I’m in a new shop where piping for dust collection is no longer an option. I need some kind of adapter that will let me connect 5” flex hose directly to the 4” plastic ports on all my machines. Lots of reducers out there, but I can’t find one that’ll let me attach the 5” hose on one end and slide the other end over the tool ports. Any suggestions?
    Maybe make something? You can heat, bend, and stretch PVC. Some people turn a wooden mandrel to push heated PVC pipe over to expand or push inside to reduce. I've also made lots of PVC fittings and connectors buy cutting carefully sized slots so I could squeeze the pipe together and glue into another piece. Could cut and remove a long triangular strip from the side of a length of PVC pipe and bend and glue it into a cone. I also hold sections of pipe and fittings together with self-tapping sheet metal screws. Seems like if you can find something to that fits the port then something else that fits the hose you might make something to connect them. I made most of what I needed from pieces cut from standard fittings and S&D pipe (which I use for ducting)

JKJ

If looking for pre-fab connections, check out Grizzly. https://www.grizzly.com/
    I have always found what I needed from them and they always had it in stock and shipped within a day or two. I have used reducers from HVAC piping from the box stores but had to tape them to keep air from escaping, but they work and are inexpensive. Also, as John stated, you can make your own by heating and forming PVC pipe.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Take a look at DWV PVC pipe, and Fernco fittings at the Big Box stores. I have been pleasantly surprised to find these to work as adapters.

To do this I have used a 4” to 5” metal reducer from Oneida and crimped the 5” end a flex hose could fit over it. Need a crimper but if you have metal ducting at all you should already have one.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I have used 5" to 4" hvac reducers and when possible made custom 5" tool connections. it goes without saying the connecting 5" to the tool is better if you can make it work.

Print one on a 3d printer
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Hi, Jason. I had the same problem and came up with this.

Assuming you already have something like this:
    5" to 4" Adaptor
    https://www.rockler.com/5-to-4-adaptor

This is a 4" rubber union that will fit over the end of the above adapter:
    Dust Right 4" Rubber Union for Dust Collection
    https://www.rockler.com/dust-right-4...ust-collection

I initially used a regular 4" dust connector into the union on the open end but found it was too heavy and would fall off the connector, so, now I just use the union over the dust port. I left the ring clamp on and used that to adjust for a friction fit. Once you set the friction it's done. Not elegant but it's simple and works better than anything I came up with.

(This is not the same 4" union found at Menard's (too big). It has Rockler's name on it so I'm assuming it's a fitting unique to them.)

IMG_0159.jpg
    Last edited by Sanford Imhoff; 01-06-2020 at 4:08 PM.