Thread: Is it Acceptable on SMC to Request Advice on Pricing a Drill Press?

Is it Acceptable on SMC to Request Advice on Pricing a Drill Press?

I'm stymied and don't have unlimited time to spend. I do not want to be offensive or to break rules I could not find.

I have a working classic drill press (Tiger 16) that I want to sell. I'm sure there are others here who have far deeper knowledge on the market in tools like this one.

Vintage tools has images in its "Photo Index" that refer back to an image I once posted here. I trust it is OK to link that URL?

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=18924

I tried to find a 'view my posts' tool here but did not find it, so I can't see where the Vintage Tools poster found the images.

Is it OK for me to ask for advice?

Thanks
    John

John, I'll defer to the Moderators on your question, but I didnt see anything in TOS that forbade asking for pricing advice. Here's a link to the "Terms of Service" you can check. (I had to go hunt them down myself, though I think they are posted some place obvious and I just missed it.)
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-23-2019 at 7:42 AM. Reason: Added to post after re-reading TOS.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Hi John,
    I'm pretty sure it is accepted on the forum to inquire about pricing and estimated value of tools. When you get ready to offer it for sale, SMC has a Classified section here:
    David
    https://sawmillcreek.org/forumdispla...ek-Classifieds

It’s okay to do so, I’m pretty sure.

As far as where someone got your picture, if it’s on the web it’s fair game. OWWM guys are sometimes really into a certain brand and will find pics anywhere online and post them on the mothership to document examples.

Here’s your thread by the way.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ess-quill-lock

Looks like you linked the pic from a 3rd party host, and either the host isn’t around anymore or you moved the picture, so it’s not linked. Good thing the OWWM captured it! This is a reason SMC (and OWWM) recommend you upload the picture directly to the forum rather than linking it.

[QUOTE=As far as where someone got your picture, if it’s on the web it’s fair game. [/QUOTE]

Not true. The photographer owns the image & controls who has the rights to use it in any way.

https://www.format.com/magazine/reso...ight-law-guide

Looks like the other chaps have you covered on philosophy and forum rules. I will take a stab at appraising the DP. I can’t say I’ve ever seen a Tiger brand drill press, and the handle is particularly interesting; however, if still say this is around $150-200. It’s not floor standing, and I routinely see the alien helmet deltas sell for $200 or less. Floor standing 12-15” models. Hope that helps, and good luck with the sale.

Technically I guess you’re right Frank. But the OP was referenced as to where the picture came from. And I doubt the OP would be suing the best resource for vintage machinery on the net.

I’d agree with Patrick on price. One thing about obscure/rare manufacturers is they are collectible and valuable to a small fraction of the general tool buying public. Maybe you’d be able to get more if you find one of them and they are close enough to buy it, but chances of that are probably small. I’d either try to sell it locally for less and get rid of it quickly, or post it online at OWWM/VM and be prepared to wait longer for a buyer and deal with shipping or pottering/ruckering.

Thank you everyone for your helpful responses.

I especially appreciate the price shot by Patrick.

I will try to post some photos. This afternoon a buyer who is bought my 12" Delta portable planer is coming back to pay for my 1971 10" Craftsman table saw with the fancy footwork casters and all and lots of goodies. It is on the SF bay craigslist.
    I think he wants the drill press, too, but I want to negotiate to hold onto it through January. Of all my large power tools it is the one I reach to more often than any.

Has anyone else adapted to using the quill lock as an alternative to a return spring. After years of having to be so careful not to break a wrist and the end of use, I kind of like the fine control over the quill. I checked the weight of the quill mechanism without a tool or bit and it is very close to 6#, not a lot to deal with.

I'll leave it there for now.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas to the great SMC community. You've helped me many times over the years.

John

I have good news. Based on Patrick's suggestion I quoted $180 on the drill press and my customer agreed to my terms. He agreed I to pay my price and to not come for it until the end of January. We are scheduled to move to Charlottesville, VA from Palo Alto, CA around the end of February. It gives me another good month with my 'go to tool' and I know of some quick uses I still have for it.

Lest I forget, this DP came to me via a neighbor who inherited it from a maternal uncle who lived in the LA area and who was a metal worker at least as an avocation. I inherited many small tools and the DP. I know there was a metal lathe that I did not have room for in my garage. (It is amazing how big it is as it begins to empty out again.) The whole story makes good sense.

If I can find the time, I will post some images taken against a more neutral background. I managed a 'kluge' to balance the quill. There is a hole at the bottom of the return spring housing that accepts 1/8" copper tubing. I attached a length of stainless mower control cable to the anchor point for the spring and ran it back to under the motor mount. There I attached a 6# splitting maul head which pretty much balances the quill under normal drilling use. Both the cable and the maul were inheritances. The cable does not last very long, but it is easily replaced and Mac left a lifetime supply.

Thanks again for the encouragement!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!
    John
    Last edited by John Baum; 12-23-2019 at 9:43 PM. Reason: added note

New Images - Blue Tiger 16 Drill Press

I promised some nicer images of the blue Tiger 16 drill press that remains mine until the end of January.

Some details show how I fit copper tubing into an existing small hole in the underside of the rewind spring housing so that I could then balance the quill weight so that there is no upward or downward force on the quill and the feed lever can be easily moved up and down but stays where it is left. I've come to believe that a counter weight against the pull of gravity that balances the quill and chuck is the ideal way to design a drill press.

I doubt I will have time to feed a new cable through the copper tube, but I hope the concept is clear.

Earlier posts tell in the thread tell more about the history of the DP. It has been a fun tool to use. I can very much understand why gear driven adjustment of the distance between the table and the quill was introduced. In the end, I was driven to the use of a small hydraulic jack to lift the table. Sometimes I needed to use a lab jack to support the jack as I slowly moved upwards a few inches at a time.

If you look at the wooden stand I built, it stored many other tools. There was a small steel square at hand to check alignment for squareness. One side had slots for 2 large roofing squares and an automotive head straight edge, a very handy tool when combined with a feeler gauge and the small square to flatten a surface while hand planing. On the other side there was a harness for the miter tool on the table saw, a storage space for the small square, a place to hang my RipStrate, and hangers for cauls when clamping work with a c-clamp. In the front was a small flash light and a hex key to adjust a fly cutter. Underneath the hydraulic jack, the lab jack, some drill indexes, and some drill press vices were at hand.

A personal shop is a wonderful place to play and create tools and jigs to make things. Soon my shop will be a shared community shop in a retirement community. The guys there that I've met on-line seem nice like all the people here at SMC.

Thanks again to everyone who participated in this thread.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images