Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

23 Dec 2019

Greetings,
    It's been a busy shop week in my shop and I've sold out of most all that I've made this year. The dining table project is still in progress and I have color on the wood now and is ready for clear-coating. The table base is finished and I just need good weather to spray the tabletop with Target Coatings EM8000cv. My hope is to have the clear sprayed this week and ready for customer deliver as soon as weather permits. I go oncall in 12 hours and then it's an oncall Christmas week for me. Here's to hoping it's a good quiet week at the day job.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Well, since you asked, this past week I made substantial progress on a cherry cabinet I've been slouching toward for too many months. I overcame a dreadful tendency to put a belly on boards as I passed them over the jointer. Who talked me down from the tower? The Sawmill Creek bunch.

This led to final milling on the door rails and stiles. Next steps are mortises and tenons, routing panel grooves, edge-joining three shelves, and boring shelf holes. Then I tackle the finishing/assembly dance.

I spent Saturday cleaning the shop and began re-configuring the overall layout. My PM 66 table saw had the long extension table that I wasn't really using for anything it was intended for so I decided to remove the extension table and its associated mobile base. I also recently purchased a used Hammer A3-31 from fellow creeker Dan Bowman in North Carolina to take the place of separate jointer and planer machines. The A3-31 is quite a step up from the machines I had not only because of the helical head, but interestingly the mobility kit with it's "Tow Bar" struck me as a simple, but elegant way to move machines when necessary.

Since I already have the Hammer's "Tow Bar", I decided to make a mobile base for the PM 66 that replicates how the Hammer can be moved. After a few evenings of MIG welding at a local Maker Space and 3 of us manhandling the saw onto it, this is how it came out. Shop dogs also helped out looking for bugs and spiders. Merry Christmas everyone!

IMG_0820.jpgIMG_0821.jpg

Dennis, sad you drew on-call this week, but it is what it is.

My shop activities this past week have been limited to finishing up a few small client orders for the holidays and a couple of things I was making as gifts, too. I needed a little decompression after the previous week's travel to Florida to visit my 89 yo "kid" (aka, mom) and my close friend's 12yo daughter whom I try to spend time with when I can work it out. (single mom situation...male mentor duty) I don't expect to do much out there this week, but if I do, it will likely entail a lot of cleaning in preparation for getting back to things for the new year.

'Wishing everyone a wonderful holiday season!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I doubt that I could call this an accomplishment, but my wife and I are currently touring around Germany and Austria (mainly). Spent today in Bratislava, in the rain ... grey and bleak. Back to the bright lights and fun of the Christmas markets in Vienna, where we have been for the past three days. A few more days here, and then on to Prague.

Regards from Vienna

Derek

Steampunk Santa Sleigh

I finished this up yesterday just in time for Christmas. Done on my cnc router, it is from Michael Tyler’s & Vectric’s free project of the month program. It was a very well done model. I lost track of how many hours to machine & finish, it took many more than I thought it would. I wish I was more talented at detail painting...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I finished building my wife’s bath caddy for when she is tubbing. I put the first coat of ArmorSeal on it today. I used sycamore and I think works really Wellford the all white bathroom.

I also started a small box for my father in law. I am using cherry and sycamore that was cut from his family’s homestead. It will not be ready for Christmas, so maybe a Father’s Day gift.

I did some more prep work for the drawer fronts for my bedside table. I flattened it a few weeks ago and it warped a bit. Moisture meter shows it being at 8% so I guess it is just the fibers releasing. Today I cut it to rough size for the opening, will cut the three individual drawers next week, joint them and hope for the best.

And i finished sanding and oiling three cutting boards. It has been a busy week. I am hoping to joint a bunch of sycamore before the new year.

After a five day vacation with my wife, I returned to work on the mantel:

DSC_0159a.jpg

Finished the build and install of the main parts, but still need to apply moldings. Crown beneath the top, cove under the lower shelf, and base (and maybe shoe) around the column bases. Molding is all finished with shellac, just needs to be cut and installed. At this point will stop work until after Christmas. Mary already has it decorated for the season. Installation went smoothly, and I finished with a day to spare.

Bruce, I love the Sleigh, and the paint job looks great to me!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all! May Santa bring you a tool or two, even if you haven't been as good as you might have been
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Derek, that explains the post from Changi a few days ago.
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 12-23-2019 at 11:34 PM.