Thread: Stabilizing a slab of highly splalted maple

Stabilizing a slab of highly splalted maple

I have a slab of highly spalted maple and am going to make coffee table with it. I’m
    looking for suggestion on the best way to stabilize and fill it in as it has quite a few
    worm holes and cracks in it. I do not want the epoxy look as I hate it. I was
    thinking of filling it in with epoxy then sanding it flush and top coat it with waterlox.
    There are some weak spots and want to stiffen it up. Also looking for suggetion
    on the large gap at the one end. I was thinking bow tie inlays but it’s a pretty wide
    gap. Suggestions would be great!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rick Peek; 12-22-2019 at 10:06 PM.

For small panels I typically use CA glue to adhere sanding dust in the holes in spalted maple. That looks like a big job for that slab. If that large gap on the left side isn't stable, I would probably try to tie it into the base somehow. The other alternative might be a bow tie of a contrasting wood like ebony or maybe figured walnut. If the slab is dry, it should not need to be stabilized except for the punky areas.

Check out these guys. I have been watching their videos on You Tube. https://blackforestwood.com/