Thread: foot lever (cam) for Delta Unisaw rolling base

foot lever (cam) for Delta Unisaw rolling base

The Unisaw's rolling base is activated by a foot lever that raises the base's feet off the floor so it can roll on the two wheels at the other end of the base plus the third wheel under the foot lever. The lever has two downward-facing curved edges that act as cams on a steel plate underneath.

I think my cams may be wearing out, or eroding enough that they don't hold the saw up off the floor for long when the foot pedal is lowered. When I step down on the lever to start rolling the saw, it can roll a few inches along the floor, but then pops back down, slipping back off the cams and popping the foot lever up again –– and stopping the saw's rolling where it lies.

Can these be adjusted? Or can one buy a replacement lever/cam assembly for this base? The base part number, I think, is 50-289 –– the one for the 3 HP saw with 52" Biesmeyer fence.
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 12-21-2019 at 8:21 PM.

Bob, you could try putting a 1/16" or 1/8" shim between where the foot lever and the wheel top plate intersect. I would start with 1/16", it should work.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

+1 on the shim suggestion. My Unisaw mobile base did the same thing. It was also aggravated by having the 52" extension with a lower shelf that had some heavy accessories on it. I was thinking about a shim but sold the saw before I got to try it.
    Dick Mahany.

Shims! Nice call. I'll look around for some suitable metal material. Ace Hardware, here I come. I suppose if this fix holds up the table, I'll need metal-to-metal glue as well. Epoxy?

Shims are a great idea. You may be able to use double-sided tape as a test before a more permanent adhesive. For that matter--you may not need any more than the tape given the friction fit in use.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Shims! Nice call. I'll look around for some suitable metal material. Ace Hardware, here I come. I suppose if this fix holds up the table, I'll need metal-to-metal glue as well. Epoxy?
    I think the double sided tape suggestion above may be sufficient if you use something strong such as carpet tape. If not then JB Weld would offer a more permanent bond.
    Dick Mahany.