Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most and least favorite Christmas candies

Most and least favorite Christmas candies

In my childhood, my most favorite Christmas candies were "ribbon candy", peppermint sticks, and Hershey's "semi-sweet" chocolates. However my memories of least favorite candies are just as vivid. There was marshmellow based candy that was banana flavored and roughly shaped like a small banana. There was a soft candy probably intended to imitate a kernel of corn, but it was tapered and reminded me of a tooth. It was usually yellow with an orange tip. I think it was called "candy corn". There was a hard stick candy that was dark brown - I think it was based on molasses. This flavor had a distinctive name, which I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    ... There was a hard stick candy that was dark brown - I think it was based on molasses. This flavor had a distinctive name, which I can't remember.
    Are you thinking of horehound candy, made from the horehound herb? We love it.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Are you thinking of horehound candy, made from the horehound herb? We love it.

JKJ
    Yes! - that's the name.

The missus loves ribbon candy. Very hard to find around here these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    The missus loves ribbon candy. Very hard to find around here these days.
    Search online for "ribbon candy old fashioned".

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Aubuchon View Post
    Search online for "ribbon candy old fashioned".
    Done that. Not as easy as it seems. Lots of not available, out of stocks. They actually had it at the local big lots...got in one case and it sold out the same day. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Done that. Not as easy as it seems. Lots of not available, out of stocks. They actually had it at the local big lots...got in one case and it sold out the same day. Interesting.
    https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/.../product/65235

Thanks, Peter!

Worst Christmas candy ever: Home made Divinity. My mom and her sisters used to make it EVERY year, to this day I don't know why...

Best Christmas candy: Home made Fudge.

Ribbon candy, 'hard tack' and the like, never really cared for any of that. Just seems to be re-worked sugar. Nor salt water taffy. I'll eat 'em, but only if there's nothing else available

I'm a chocolate lover. And my all time favorite candy,
    these things:
    truffles.jpg
    Costco has 'em. Don't know if they qualify as 'Christmas candy' but they do at our house!
    If you love chocolate and haven't tried these yet, get some, you won't be sorry!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Most favorite..Peppermint Bark

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    In my childhood, my most favorite Christmas candies were "ribbon candy", peppermint sticks, and Hershey's "semi-sweet" chocolates. However my memories of least favorite candies are just as vivid. There was marshmellow based candy that was banana flavored and roughly shaped like a small banana. There was a soft candy probably intended to imitate a kernel of corn, but it was tapered and reminded me of a tooth. It was usually yellow with an orange tip. I think it was called "candy corn". There was a hard stick candy that was dark brown - I think it was based on molasses. This flavor had a distinctive name, which I can't remember.
    Hahaha. It's funny how everybody is different, right? I always HATED ribbon candy and LOVED candy corn (though we only had it for halloween).

My favorite were chocolate turtles that my mom used to mail order from some place in Pennsylvania. (Mom loved mail order.) Small, gold papered box full of the best turtles I ever had - a bazillion calories a piece. Once open, that box didnt last long. Man, it's been years.....
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Just a piece of solid dark chocolate for my favorite. I dislike almost anything else.

We're still eating our leftover Halloween candy, and I hate it all.

Favorite Christmas candy is the home made brittle: pecan, cashew, pistachio, almond, etc. that I make for friends and family...about twenty pounds so far this year. We used to buy the little liquor filled chocolate bottles from Costco and Sam's Club, but stopped this year because of the extra pounds we pack on during the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Most favorite..Peppermint Bark
    My Lovely Bride likes the peppermint bark. I prefer to go for cookies instead of candy. She makes about 17 different kinds of cookies plus several fruit breads this time of year. She has a fan base who start getting worried if she gets behind. The fruit cake cookies are SO good, some other favorites are sorgum molasses, santa's whiskers, date nut balls, raisin-date bars, biscotti, and a cherry cookie with a hershey's chocolate cherry cordial kiss on top. My job is to sample each kind as while fresh from the oven.

JKJ