Thread: M-type belts: Are 2 enough for a 3HP motor?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

M-type belts: Are 2 enough for a 3HP motor?

I have an 8" jointer with a 1.5 HP 1-ph motor.
    I will be adding a helical head soon, and I know that that requires a bit more power than a knife head.

Yes, I realize that 1.5 HP isn't horribly anemic for an 8" jointer, but besides the helical head issue, (Which I'm adding to lower the noise as I have a neighbor from hell) I will be mostly face-jointing wide boards. I have a HUGE amount to process, and much of it is Hard Maple, so...

OK, so this is just me weighing my options:
    -----------------

I'm thinking of getting a used 3 HP / 3 ph motor, and adding a VFD. My question concerns the pulleys & belts:

The current setup uses dual groove pulleys with M-style V-belts, which are 3/8" across.
    I know that many 3 HP machines have used dual 4-L belts, which are 1/2" wide.
    However, there is no room in the base opening to clear wider belts, and the cutterhead shaft might be a hair short for a wider pulley. So, I'd prefer to stay with the M-type belts & original pulleys. (less money to spend, as well.)

SO:

Q: Can two M-type belts handle a 3 HP motor, if it’s not being heavily stressed?
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 12-21-2019 at 6:05 PM.