Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wood Allergies - treatment options

I’ve tried the Neilpot nose rinse. And it gave me a terrible sinus infection.
    I don’t have the drum sander anymore so less dust is better for me.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    The oscillating drum sander is my worst machine. I move it outside on the shop porch.
    I have a Performax 22/44 drum sander but it seems the DC does a very good job with the stock hood and a 4" flex duct. (with the 5hp ClearVue cyclone)

The best thing for reducing dust is when I quit power sanding bowls and platters - that made horrible clouds of dust.

I've had asthma since a teenager with a list of allergies as long as my arm. I'll do whatever it takes - I kind of like breathing!

JKJ

Your story is very similar to mine, just a different time period in life. I started allergy shots when I was 15. Did the shots, one shot in each arm every week for 5 years. In the middle of that time, I had the deviated septum surgery. I worked for a landscaper at the time and before I had the surgery, I had that feeling right before you sneeze all of the time. It was absolutely miserable and my nose burnt all of the time and I was constantly wheezing. The surgery was rough, the worst part was when they pulled the stents out of my nose a week after the surgery. I haven't been on the shots for several years and my allergies are much better than they used to be, but not perfect. I take Allegra every day and definitely know if I don't take it.

When woodworking, I wear a normal respirator if doing sanding and when I have to work with walnut, I suffer if I don't wear the respirator. Unfortunately it is a fact of life and I wouldn't give up woodworking for anything so I just put on the respirator.

Andrew, I'm curious if you sterilized the Neilpot before use, and used distilled water? Distilled water is recommended to prevent introducing anything from the city water supply, and is what I use.
    Mark McFarlane

I did use water from the faucet. It was some years ago but I’m pretty consistent about cleaning so probably did clean the pot container.
    Aj

I did use water from the faucet. It was some years ago but I’m pretty consistent about cleaning so probably did clean the pot container.
    FWIW, the instructions with my NeilMed kit say to only use distilled water. I suspect that the bacteria and minerals in tap water are the primary reasons to use distilled water. If you have ever studied your own local water report they can be a bit scary. Also looking at violations and fines assessed to your water district can be revealing/scarry.
    Mark McFarlane

For those with wood allergies, it might be worth investing in a particle meter like the Dylos to see how well your dust collection system is really working. You may be surprised to see your system isn’t working as well as you thought. (Or it might be better!)

If I had an allergy to all wood dust, like I do to red woods, I'd be doing something other than woodworking. It's fun building with metal too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    For those with wood allergies, it might be worth investing in a particle meter like the Dylos to see how well your dust collection system is really working. You may be surprised to see your system isn’t working as well as you thought. (Or it might be better!)
    I agree. I bought a Dylos Pro in 2012. I notice the price is exactly the same today as it was in 2012: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AWEG0Y

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I agree. I bought a Dylos Pro in 2012. I notice the price is exactly the same today as it was in 2012: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AWEG0Y

JKJ
    Agree totally with the recommendations re the Dylos. I purchased one a year ago and it has, I think, made me a much wiser woodworker and changed my shop working habits
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Yes, I,ve had the Dylos meter for several years and use it to test shop air purity. The air in my shop is cleaner than the air in my home! Oneida whole shop dust collection and 1 JDS air cleaner and 3 housetype Alen air cleaners. These all run continuously ....I change out a pre-pre filter every 3-4 weeks.
    It never gets everything....nature of the activity. But it gets a lot. All of this and respirators and forced air systems so I can enjoy the hobby I choose.
    Jim

I am allergic to bolivian rosewood, which is not a rosewood at all but a very good look a like. The doctor finally believed me when my eyes swelled shut after turning it. I do have sinus problems here in Iowa especially in the fall. I use 1 tsp of salt, 1/2 tsp of backing soda. Mix in a half class of warm water. fill a baby syringe, lean head back slightly and squirt up each nostril a couple of times . It helps if you breath in at the same time. repeat until the sinuses fill clear or in my case you can't stand it anymore. It is not fun the first time but the relief you get makes it much easier after that. I use as needed.

Believe it or know this recipe cane from a Eye Nose and Throat doctor.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bussey View Post
    I am allergic to bolivian rosewood...
    I somehow acquired a few pieces of wood labeled Borneo Rosewood. I found out on my first bandsaw cut how evil the stuff is. A look at the Wood Database showed it more commonly called Rengas and explained the problem:

"Allergies/Toxicity: The sap of Rengas is reported to be strongly irritating to the skin, causing blisters, sores, and reactions similar to poison ivy, as well as fever and constitutional effects in some individuals."

and this:

"It has been reported that Rengas is an excellent and handsome wood for cabinetry and other projects, but that the tree is so highly irritating among foresters and end-users, that it has fallen out of favor. The sap contains urushiol (the same allergen found in Poison Ivy), and can still be irritating to some sensitized individuals even after the wood has been dried, and sap can also seep through some wood finishes to the surface of the wood."

I don't know why I saved what I have instead of burning it. Maybe to carve a spoon or toothpicks or make a ring for someone I don't like. (JK!)

JKJ

For me it's allergies to mango, acacia (Koa), mesquite (kiawe) and monkey pod. I took shots for over 20 years and the doctor stopped it saying it's not going to help anymore. I don't get attacks anymore and take 1 zyrtec in the morning every day which helps.

15. At age 76 I stay on self-injected allergy serum. I have always been an active, healthy guy, and was an athlete up into college and afterwards in one sport. I first went to an allergy doc at age ~ 57 with a stuffy head complaint. They did the regular stick pin tests and I did shots with that doc for 2 years with some improvement. At a routine colon scope, age ~ 69, the prep nurse told me I had low oxygen and might want to see a pulmonologist. I did and had the tests in chamber, the whole bit and ended up at a new allergy doc and more tests. I found it interesting that many of the things my 1st doc found me allergic to were not found the next time.
    Afgter a lifetime of making wood dust, doing auto body work as a sideline, much agricultural dust!!!-the worst was dust from harvest times and I do remember alfalfa dust in the heat of summer as especially bad as we stored bales for feed mixes and very dusty to stack them. Industry wise I worked in the largest tire plant in the world as a mechanic/millwright and spent long enough in the "official"- carbon black area to become eligible for Black Lung benefits, which I don't have BTW.
    I was the superintendent of a juvenile treatment program for ~ 4 years and went through a recommended lung screening process after spending several months around a juvenile delinquent who had tuberculosis. I was found clear of any problems.
    I now use a netti pot after any dust exposure shop or outside work like sawmill or bush hogging, mowing, etc..
    I use flonase & azelastine nasal sprays most days and stay on Claritin year round which in combo help a bunch. My oxygen has been normal since I began with the 2nd allergy doc about 7 yrs back. My allergy doc says dues to age the shots help my body stay in the game as my immune system weakens over time.
    Self injecting means I keep an ept-pen around but saves me exposure & travel to a local clinic where you have to sit after the shot for a reaction and much easier done at home. Remember the $400 or $600 epi pens in the news? I have never paid more than ~$30 for mine as they are generic-yet another e.g. of the news media creating miss-information!
    I spent much effort to be allowed to self inject as I'm on KY Teacher Retirement Medicare Supplemental and seems my age told them I wasn't responsible enough to do the shots? Who knows?, but after like 12-15 phone calls I do the shots at home! They mail the serum vials to my home.