Thread: Drill Press Return Spring

Drill Press Return Spring

So this morning, the return spring on my old 15 inch Craftsman drill press snapped. Craftsman Parts Direct says replacement spring and housing is no longer available - YAY.

The drill press is the Craftsman 152.229, and the spring part number is OR92338. Google didn't find anything for me. What are the odds some other manufacturer's spring would work, and how would I know without one in hand??

Any ideas? Santa doesn't have budget for a new drill press this year.

Did you try e-bay? My dad had the same issue with a belt for a bandsaw. I was able to find them there.

Richard

--I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I rebuilt an old Walker-Turner drill press a few years back, during the process I discovered that the return spring was broke as well. I did have the fortune to find an excellent website that specialized in Walker-Turner products and parts, can't remember if the parts were new or not. Anyway they wanted $100 for a return spring, I thought that seemed kind of pricey for a coil spring, my opinion just saying. Anyway, i was able to drill a hole and re-attach it to the mechanism. Not sure if this will solve your issue or not? Mine was broken right at the end as well, which I would assume that would be the most common place to break.

If it's broken right at the end, you can heat it with a torch and bend it. If that doesn't work, you can always do this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EctHy-cpXsA

My return spring for my craftsman broke a few years ago. Ran into the same issue. I ended up measuring the width of the spring and found some on ebay. Did not cost much, a few bucks is what I recall. They still make springs that will fit, but you have to hunt for them. You may also try Grizzly. Some of their springs may be interchangeable, but you will need to know the width of your existing spring.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

If you have your old spring and can get some basic measurements, McMaster-Carr has wide variety of sizes. Search "Clock Spring" on their website to see the several different varieties they have available.

I replaced one no longer available on an old drill press, some years ago. I forget where I bought it, but it came from online. I just Googled "drill press return spring", and found all sorts. Not sure why Google wouldn't work for you. You just need the diameter, and rough size of the drill press. Also might be called quill spring.

Thanks all. Google didn't work the first time because my brain didn't work - I only googled for the craftsman part number. Did find what I needed when I searched for quill return spring.

many prefer a counter weight since it is easy to adjust and is a constant force regardless of quill position. My mill has a vertical coil spring attached to the quill to pull it up. i have seen them mounted horizontally with a cable and pulley. others use a gas strut pushing up on the quill.
    Bil lD