Thread: How thin must cherry be to be bent when laminating?

How thin must cherry be to be bent when laminating?

I am building a Morris chair using cherry. It will have bowed arms that will be 1and1/4" thick. The arms will be formed of laminated strips. For those of you that have bent cherry how thin should the cherry be so that it can be bent? I'm thinking 3/8" thick cherry should be ok to be slightly bent. From your experience is this too thick? Must I go thinner? I'd like to get the proper thickness using as few pieces as necessary. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by James Spillman View Post
    I am building a Morris chair using cherry. It will have bowed arms that will be 1and1/4" thick. The arms will be formed of laminated strips. For those of you that have bent cherry how thin should the cherry be so that it can be bent? I'm thinking 3/8" thick cherry should be ok to be slightly bent. From your experience is this too thick? Must I go thinner? I'd like to get the proper thickness using as few pieces as necessary. Thanks.
    Ive used cherry quite a bit and 3/8” won’t bend much at all. I’m thinking 1/16” unless you steam it. Hopefully somebody with more bending experience will chime in.

You don't bother to specify the radius of curvature, which has everything to do with how thin the laminations must be, but I would try a sample using at the very least 5 laminations.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I don't know the radius of the curvature. I would say the armrests have a "slight" bend. The arms are 36" long and do not curve more than 3"over the entire length. I probably will cut a 3/8" thick sample piece and see how that piece fits the form.

Blog Entries
    Years ago, I steam bent cherry to for the top on a crib I made for my daughter. 3/8" cherry steamed for nearly an hour had a working time in seconds and needed clamps to bend it. There was significant spring back.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I routinely bend cherry in the 3/32" range for guitar sides and such, using a short piece of copper pipe with a propane torch tip inside turned down very low. I wet the wood and bend it over the hot pipe, which momentarily turns the water to steam in the area that is touching the pipe. Using this technique I also bent cherry for the stems of a wood strip canoe, and that cherry was about 1/8" thick but only an inch wide or a bit more. Any more than 1/8" will not be easy to bend on a pipe, and while it may be possible to bend it cold I doubt if it will stay bent very well, as it would always be trying to return to straight. I have no experience with a steam box, but I'd like to try someday.

I am first experimenting with bending cherry but across the grain to make a 3/8" thick back splat for a chair. The bend is only 3/8" across 4-1/2" wide. The first trial with flat sawn stock cracked along the grain on the back. The quarter sawn stock was a success. The actual splat is rift sawn on one edge and flat sawn along the other edge and it turned out well.

With these mixed results, my guess is that 3/8" cherry is too thick to laminate and bending it would take more energy than I can muster. Good luck and let us know what you learn.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!