Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Balloon Painting

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    All good points John. Here are a couple of pieces i did yesterday. The green one turned out great and then I wanted to experiment with acrylic rather than the Jo Sonia. As you can see the acrylic just sort of smudges. The effect however is not all that displeasing. Sorry but for some reason I didn't take a photo of the complete piece with the black on white.[/ATTACH]
    Beautiful! I like the way you thoughtfully and artistically directed the balloon motion, the best I've seen. Makes me want one of yours on my shelf! (BTW, not criticism but I do wonder if an entirely black rim on that one would be a striking accent to complement the rest of the piece.)

I'm wondering if you could use it as accents at the lip and/or base or a band around otherwise conventionally finished wood vessels. My potter friend tried some interesting glaze once at the top of a big pot on what I think was a second firing. He put it on heavily at the top and the runs and sags down from the top over the base were intriguing.

Hey, in case you are interested in seeing some of my friend's pottery, about 15 years ago I shot a video of opening the kiln and he has some pictures of work in progress and finished pieces. I believe he makes the largest raku-fired pottery in the world, inventing the methods needed. He achieves the oxygen reduction atmosphere by lowering a huge SS can containing combustibles over the pots. His house looks like a museum inside!

http://paulmenchhofer.com/
    http://paulmenchhofer.com/workshop.html
    http://paulmenchhofer.com/gallery.html
    http://paulmenchhofer.com/video.html (kiln at about 0:13 to 0:45 seconds)

I love to look a potter and other's turnings as inspiration.

JKJ

Thanks John. I would be thrilled to send along a Piece of mine to share shelf space in you home! Black rim? Well for me I think it would work great and I may just have to try that in the future but it was soooo hard to mask this piece to keep the paint out of the inside I just don't think I could get it to would work. I too love to look at pottery to always to get enspired by that group of artists. Here are a couple more photos of some work I did to try to emulate pottery.
    DSC_8875.jpgDSC_8869.jpgIMG_7005.jpg
    I love them and did a few but the Gallery owner doesn't and so they remain in my collection. Thanks for the interest and comments and as soon as I finish this note I'll check out the links you sent. I do really admire and am inspired by anyone who thinks out of the box and has the wherewithal to make and invent tools and methods needed to make. Take care and I hope you and yours have a very merry Christmas and a wonderful 2020.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Peter,
    when you're doing the balloon painting, do you apply it to a painted surface, and if so, is the painted surface dry?

I looked at some balloon painting videos on flat work and they applied the balloon painting to a wet surface. Just wondering...

Hey Brice. I usually paint with rattle can lacquer before doing any Jo Sonia painting. When I do a paint pour ( really quite different process) I always pour or try to always pour on to a wet paint surface.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Black rim? Well for me I think it would work great and I may just have to try that in the future but it was soooo hard to mask this piece to keep the paint out of the inside I just don't think I could get it to would work.
    DSC_8875.jpg
    I think this one with the soft transition between the rim and body looks great with the way you did the flowing colors.

For a painted body and a totally unpainted rim on a piece like this one,
    have you considered a separate rim turned from blackwood or dyed holly or something, glued into place? I know it sounds like cheating but I've seen pieces multi-part with a contrasting rim which I thought looked elegant.

Please show more of these if you have more!

JKJ

Greeting again John. I agree that a dark wood insert might bring a little more class and I will have to consider adding this to some of these. By the way there are a few around here that will never see the light of day . . . . The process as you can imagine is unpredictable!
    Here are a few more shots of some of the many I have done.
    DSC_8871.jpgIMG_6899.jpgIMG_6897.jpgIMG_7006.jpgIMG_6934.jpgIMG_8103.jpg
    I hope these give you some ideas. The last photo is of a two part turning that is hollow (not sure what this is called) on one side, the side you see here I applied white acrylic and before it was dry I spun it horizontally and dripped black acrylic on it the other side I did the reverse. Merry Christmas to all!!
    Pete

Peter, you know what you could use to exclude the paint from going inside your vessels -- an inflated balloon! Stick it inside, blow it up and tie a knot in it. It'll press right up against the underside and edge of the opening. When you're done painting, and the paint is dry, pop the balloon and pull it out! Badda Bing, Badda Boom!
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Thanks for the tip Walter I have tried that and it works great on some of the things I do depending on the shape.
    Pete