Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balloon Painting

Balloon Painting

Just thought I should post something here as I have not done so in a very long time. The title may be a little confusing because I am not painting balloons but using balloons to paint with. I apologize for not naming the people in the video who inspired me to try this process but just know it is not my original idea.
    This piece was first painted black and then slightly watered down Jo Sonia Iridescent paint was dabbed onto the surface. These dabs are then 'smooshed" with a balloon. I was trying to get a sort of shaded finish by using two colors but in the end it all kind of mixed together. Thanks for looking!
    IMG_9537.jpgIMG_9538.jpg
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    Just thought I should post something here as I have not done so in a very long time. The title may be a little confusing because I am not painting balloons but using balloons to paint with. I apologize for not naming the people in the video who inspired me to try this process but just know it is not my original idea.
    This piece was first painted black and then slightly watered down Jo Sonia Iridescent paint was dabbed onto the surface. These dabs are then 'smooshed" with a balloon. I was trying to get a sort of shaded finish by using two colors but in the end it all kind of mixed together. Thanks for looking!
    IMG_9537.jpgIMG_9538.jpg
    Beautiful! A gentleman in our turning club showed me that method and I was impressed. He uses the same paint. (I need to break down and get some to try!)

JKJ

Wow- that’s beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

I like it! What size is the vessel and what type of wood did you use. It really turned out beautiful.

I recently turned a "cosmic clouds" platter after seeing a video and used Jo Sonja iridescent paints. They really make an interesting effect and are fun to work with. I used gentle blasts of air from an air brush to spread the paints out. I definitely need to try the balloon technique.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 12-21-2019 at 9:00 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

Beautiful form and finish. What technique did you use to finish the inside? Spray? Rag on a stick?

I see faces in the purple cosmos. That really looks like an ancient amphora, beautiful thing.

I like it a lot. Might have to try this sometime. Thanks for sharing.

Beautiful!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Ted i usually try to spray the inside while I'm painting the outside with smaller openings of course it is harder and I often slop some black paint inside and slosh it around. I must admit I am one turner who really doesn't pay a lot of attention to the inside finish of a hollow form especially if it has a small opening I usually just shoot for the general thickness I want.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *

Dick I have the butterfly mentality, I flit from one thing to the next. I have made several "cosmic cloud' pieces thanks to Gary Lowe and have used a horizontal spinner to try to be a little different. The wood is Silver Maple a piece with little or no character, I don't usually cover interesting grain with paint. It is about 7 " tall. Thanks for the nice compliment!
    Pete

Thanks everyone I have two more on the go that I hope to get to today. One quite different which is an open form with the outside painted white on which I am about to try black balloon smooshing and another small one. I haven't gotten any of these to the Gallery yet and am unsure of the owner's take as she really is not keen on wooden items that don't look like wood but will be delivering these for her review early in the new year.
    Pete

...I haven't gotten any of these to the Gallery yet and am unsure of the owner's take as she really is not keen on wooden items that don't look like wood but will be delivering these for her review early in the new year.
    If she rejects them perhaps there are other galleries that would like them!

JKJ

Thanks John. Problem is that in my area they are few and far between. This one is about 1 1/2 hour drive. The owner seems to know what will sell and I am happy she takes any of my pieces. Yesterday I received a check for three items that sold in November so I can now look at another tool that I need!! LOL
    Pete

Thanks John. Problem is that in my area they are few and far between. This one is about 1 1/2 hour drive. The owner seems to know what will sell and I am happy she takes any of my pieces. Yesterday I received a check for three items that sold in November so I can now look at another tool that I need!! LOL
    Yes, the distance could be a problem. Graeme Priddle took me to the gallery in Asheville where he sells work - it was a 1 minute walk from his shop! A potter friend has to drive over 2 hours to deliver his work.

For relatively small things like turnings, would shipping to a more remote gallery be worth it if necessary? I don't try to sell things so I have limited experience with galleries but I'm imagining those pieces would sell easily.

If I "need" a new tool I just ask my Lovely Bride. I don't remember if I posted it here, but she finally agreed to let me come home with this new "woodturning tool" - it can easily pick up a 1000 lb log from one end and hold it at a comfortable height so I can cut chunks off the other:
    trackhoe_20190916_190256.jpg
    Good clean fun!

JKJ

All good points John. Here are a couple of pieces i did yesterday. The green one turned out great and then I wanted to experiment with acrylic rather than the Jo Sonia. As you can see the acrylic just sort of smudges. The effect however is not all that displeasing. Sorry but for some reason I didn't take a photo of the complete piece with the black on white.
    IMG_9805.jpgIMG_9812.jpgIMG_9811.jpg
    Pete