Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soft close drawer slides

Soft close drawer slides

Is there a better forum for this over "General"?

I'm in need of some soft close drawer slides for 2 dressers and 2 nightstands that I built. I want to use soft close, full extension, but I don't want the BLUM undermount.

Are there any that do not stink? So far I've tried the "Promark" "Liberty" ones off Amazon, and they stink. They are super hard to open, notchy, and in general, garbage.

I saw good reviews on the LONTAN brand, which looks like it has a completely different soft close design (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R1XJ2BS...I2I131UUXM5M5W)

Any recommendations here? I don't quite care too much about the price, but I do want side mount, as the drawers/dressers are already made, and the ones I have in there stink enough that I want to toss em and get new ones.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-20-2019 at 7:33 AM.

For your requirements , Accuride is going to be the best choice.

Accuride gets my vote.

Blog Entries
    I have had very good results with the Knape & Vogt KV8450FM Soft Close Side Mount Drawer Slides. I have more than 17 pairs in my home that see frequent use and they are all working like new.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Tom, why don't you want to use Blum undermounts? I've tried several brands over the years, but keep going back to Blum.

I've used KV-MuV and Hettich Quadro undermount slides. Work about as well as Blum but I still prefer Blum.

John

Blog Entries
    Use a lot of KV and there easy enough...

A few years ago when we remodeled the place the owner of the cabinet shop said he doesn't like the soft close drawer slides. He says they start out fine but as they age the soft close turns into a slam closed. On his suggestion we did not go soft close. What have you all seen?

I have some that are about 10 years old now and they still work like new. I wonder what his time frame was.

John

Of the side mount soft close slides, I prefer the ones from KV (Knap & Voigt), KV 8450FM.
    They slide smoother and last longer than the Accurides, which I will no longer install due to numerous problems with them.
    I don't think any of the side mount soft close will last as long or glide as smooth as a good undermount slide, such as the Blum Movento.
    However there are times, particularly during a retrofit where new drawer boxes aren't an option, a side mount soft close can work...... but for longevity, a regular non self closing slide would be the best option.
    Since they're relatively inexpensive, having a few replacement sets of the soft close slides on hand might be an idea just in case down the road the soft close mechanism fails.....

After too much money spent on off brands, I settled for these and I love them. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

Thanks guys. I’ll go with the KV ones.

$20 a set seems like a good price, and they seem to get great reviews all around.

For the shop, I use regular ones, but for kitchen and dressers and such, I like the soft close. Not worried about longevity. Styles change, so I’m sure I’ll build some new dressers in a few years anyways.

A woodworker friend installed his regular drawer slides on the drawers of his kitchen cabinets at a slight angle, so they are always self closing. He then added clear silicone cushions to the back edges of the drawer face where it hits the frame when closed. The result is amazingly quiet, and the drawers are never left open. He gave his wife what she wanted at a very much reduced price tag. I think I'll be doing the same if I ever replace my existing built in place cabinets.

Charley

Try ahhttp://ahturf.com or Woodworkers hardware.
    Tom

I have tried few over the past few years. I have had the best result from Blum slides. I would recommend it. Other than that I think Promark and Accuride do a good job too. You can find more soft close slides here.