Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice, please

Further to the differences: the Veritas is available in PM-V11 and A2, the LN in A2 only, and the Narex in Manganese Chrome. Of these, technically, there is no doubt in my mind that the PM-V11 is the best steel. Having stated this, for morticing - unless you were doing it all day long - I rather doubt that many could tell the difference between the steels. Before Lee Valley released their mortice chisels, I completed some extended testing. This consisted of many metres of chopping mortices into oak. I used PM-V11, A2, and my vintage Ward oval bolstered chisels. All just kept going .. and going.

Ian Kirby wrote a useful article on morticing, here: https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/h...se-and-tenons/. In this he describes and demonstrates two methods of using mortice chisels.

There are a number more. The method I have been using is essentially the Maynard. I demo it here: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...gByChisel.html

There is also a description of the Ray Iles morticing chisels here, along with the Maynard version: https://www.popularwoodworking.com/w...SE_BY_HAND.pdf

And not forgetting Warren’s emphasis on riding the bevel, which is demoed by Ian Kirby above. Warren, hopefully you will comment on that, and the methods above.

Regards from Vienna

Derek

Hmm..guess I could go to the shop and measure mine..
    Ash Box Project, finger lay out.JPG
    Been using it, today...anyway..
    Ash Box Project, Fingers chopped.JPG

Lumber is Ash, BTW...

Steven, as per Warren, can you comment on the different mortice chisel designs (including the way the bevel is angled/shaped), and relate that to the various morticing methods?

Background: Warren frequently refers to a straight 30- or 35 degree bevel on his mortice chisel, as this makes it easier to ride the bevel. I get that and don’t dispute that ... in fact, I am going to try it for myself. However, I have used a different method for years, and am aware of other methods for morticing ... and I wonder whether a lower primary bevel plus high bevel suit those methods better than a single high bevel. I am also aware that Japanese mortice chisels typically have a single bevel, also usually 30-35 degrees, but cannot recall what method I have watched being used with these chisels. Does form follow function?

Regards from Vienna

Derek

Just went to the shop...Narex chisels have a 25 degree SINGLE bevel.....FACTORY EDGE. Using a Veritas guide to check/set bevels from an old MK1 Honing guide.

I do "ride" the bevel...but only at the end of a mortise....then turn the chisel around, and finish the end square.

The single Japanese Mortise chisel I have (12mm) had a 25 degree single bevel. Of course, mine came from Okinawa....

I also have a Witherby 3/8 Mortise chisel....haven't bothered to check it's bevel.....tis a bit well used, before I even bought it.
    Last edited by steven c newman; 12-22-2019 at 2:19 AM.

Thank you Steven. Can you describe or demonstrate the method by which you mortice?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hello Tom,

Thanks for the kind offer: your willingness to demonstrate in a way that I could experience for myself and not just read about, see in a photo, or watch on a video is much appreciated. I think you’ve convinced me simply by offering to let me see the difference between ending at 13k and going farther that I’d benefit from at least the 13k and likely more; the full potential may be above my skill level at the moment, but I enjoy a challenge and building my skills. I may take you up on the offer just to experience what you consider sharp and how it differs from my current standards.

Best regards,
    Michael

No problem. Theory is much talked about here, but having something in your hands will tell you a lot more than theory. PM for my address. I'll get them right back to you.

Well....right now, the Narex 6mm is a bit busy....
    Ash Box Project, Fingers chopped.JPG
    Chopping the waste from between a few fingers.....but..
    computer desk project, test fit rail.JPG
    Last set of mortises done. Ganged up a set of stiles. Start at the far end of each mortise, with the bevel facing me....then the last chop, turn the chisel around, and square the near end, with the bevel facing away. Repeat until depth is reached...
    Computer Desk project, mortised.JPG
    I use 3 chisels...
    Computer Desk project, mortise tools.JPG
    Mortise chisel. The bevel edge one for cleaning the walls if needed. Fancy handle has a curved blade, to clean out chips, rather than use the mortise chisel to pry them out.

I've never spent much time thinking about it, but I start in the middle, and go both ways.

A look at what I use...YMMV..
    .Sharpen a chisel, guides.JPG
    I use the old MK1 to set the bevel angle.....the guide is from Irwin/Marples. Set right now to hone a 6mm mortise chisel @ 25 degrees...
    Sharpen a chisel, one done.JPG
    Honed to 2500 grit...then stropped. Went through 3 such chisels last night,,,,
    Sharpen a chisel. 3 done.JPG
    I think that will do, for now....been using that 6mm one this evening...had some fingers of Ash to chop...

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post

I would not recommend that someone who does not know how to use a mortise chisel buy a whole set of chisels of any brand, let alone an expensive brand where one might be buying more marketing than chisel.
    ^^^ This.

I looked at the Narex, Veritas and LN chisels and ended up buying some Ashley Iles chisels from the UK. Good old English Sheffield quality. No sense in buying a whole set, only buy what your immediate needs are.