Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever bought a piece of equipment and then wondered why?

Have you ever bought a piece of equipment and then wondered why?

I came across a great deal on a 3hp 3/4" shaper. It's an older one made in Canada with an American made single phase US motor on it. It's in very good shape and I probably have $100 into it. I was so quick to say yes that I didn't think about if I really needed it or if I'm just hording more tools. I don't have any 3/4" cutters and I'm not sure if a 1 1/4" will be too much for it. But it just looked so neat I had to have it. It's all cast iron except for the belt guard. At what point do you draw the line?

When you have no more room! Only thing holding me back from buying a planer and dust collector is space. That's all I am I have found: a tool collector. Don't have the time to use them, maybe one day I'll be able to. But I want them available for when I do find the time.

Why do I have a flexible ruler? You know the ones that can be bent into almost any shape and then not hold it. I have never been able to get the ruler in the shape of a fair curve, which should be almost the simplest form. Only cost me $15 but I have found it useless.

Sorry, but I have been wanting to get that off my chest for some time.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

I've wondered why I didn't buy some, when I had the chance.

At least it's not just me. Now I need to find a project so I can justify buying some cutters for it to try out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I've wondered why I didn't buy some, when I had the chance.
    This..

Dont think I've ever wondered why (or why i have mutiples)

Alex. I used a 3hp Weaver shaper with a 3/4" spindle for years for raised panel cabinet door fabrication and I believe that the (steel) cutters were 1-1/4" with 3/4" bushings in them. I don't have it any more or I would go down to the shop and confirm that.
    David

Unfortunately, yes. But, soon some from of rationalization comes to mind to justify the purchase.

If you have space, don't sweat it. I suspect you can always get your money out of it. I see shapers all the time for good deals. So far, I've resisted. I'm like you: "Man that's a really nice machine for a great price!", but then I come back to reality: "I have no need for that what so ever".

LOL!
    It's all a part of the game of life isn't it?
    Buying stuff and not having a clue as to why - other than @ the time it seemed like a good idea.

Speaking of which.....

Do you have any idea - how heavy a Smith and Wesson M69 .44 magnum is when you stick it in a shoulder holster and wear it all day long?
    (my latest $1000 thing I really didn't need )
    Dirty Harry had neck muscles made of carbon fiber.....
    Oh well....at least I'm all set for any rampaging hippo I run across in Lowes while I'm shopping for tools I don't need - that replace the ones I misplaced and can't seem to find at the moment
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I once purchased a horizontal metal bandsaw from a clubmate. It was selling for much less than a new one, came with a good number of Starrett blades ... and I had aspirations of making infill hand planes. Of course, I preferred building furniture, and it sat there unused, taking up valuable workshop space. I sold it after 18 months.

Posted on a train to Vienna

Derek

You guys need to think differently. I buy pretty well any machines I find that are great deals. Then end up selling them later for a profit when I find the one I really want. My shop is now complete and I have a couple machines to sell yet....

Well, I bought a drum sander and a lathe for my small, yet already full shop, during Black Friday. Now I'm rearranging once again, trying to shoe-horn the new toys in.

We’ve all been there. I bought a really nice Excalibur special edition scroll saw in almost new condition a few years back for an absolute steal. I still haven’t used it in a project, but someday ...
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

I bought my tablesaw without good reason for the amount of woodworking I did at the time. Same with the plunge saw. And router. And planer. And sanders. And domino. And bandsaw. And a bunch of overpriced Woodpecker stuff. And jointer. Over about 18 months. I always question the purpose and my need, and then do it anyways. I have never been disappointed.