Thread: 2019 Ornaments

2019 Ornaments

Just finished making 94 of these Deer Christmas ornaments for friends and family. This is my 16th year making ornaments, every year is a struggle deciding which design to use because I have to balance the cost of materials and the labor hours involved against my shop schedule. One thing is for sure they are always enjoyable to hand out to those who receive them. The sweaters with snowflakes on them are generic for people at local businesses we patronize.

Ornaments 2019_sm.jpg
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-18-2019 at 8:25 PM.

It looks like you have more female friends than male!

What material are they?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I know that struggle for the past 3 years I have made ornaments to give to all the Kids going on the Snowball express out of Phoenix. Coming up with a new design each year is difficult for me too.I have the time but the dime for materials is also a struggle .
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bruce, it's ordinary engravers plastic I purchased from Johnson Plastics. Most of the ornaments are from lists of names that my wife and two daughters send me hence the number of females on the list.

Bert, you can easily tie up a lot of funds purchasing materials for certain designs. A couple of years ago I made wood snow sled ornaments from a full size plan I got from Vectric. The cost was inexpensive because I used project drops re-sawing all of the lumber I got lots of material cheap but the labor hours were higher than just using flat engravers material. The engravers plastic for 94 ornaments this year was $139.15

yikes better find more scraps LOL I just made a new batch of ornaments for our PGR guys from warped thin boards I got for the price of shipping from one of our guys here a few years ago got one or 2 out of each piece.2019 PGR.jpg
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I like the simple, self lit-up acrylic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by James Minick; 12-24-2019 at 4:25 AM.
    James Minick

"Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, and cut with an axe"

100w CO2 Ruida
    50w Fiber BJJCZ
    34in Vinyl Cutter
    5 TIG/MIG/Stick/Gas Outfits
    50 Ton Press
    Robotic/IT Museum