Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interior Sheating

Interior Sheating

Hi All,

Having sold my old shop, I am in the design phase for its replacement. I can't see using the usual sheetrock route and am looking for a substitute. Any thoughts

Thanks,
    Ken
    Corrales, NM

Blog Entries
    I would use 1/2" plywood or osb.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I wanted something white and dust resistant. Used cheap prefinished wood paneling. Medium wood color up to 4', white above. Dust clings to it but brushes right off. OSB sounds like a bad idea.

Blog Entries
    7/16" OSB primed and painted semi-gloss white worked well for me.

Cleat Clamp Rack V2 (27).jpg

I screwed the panels to the wall. In the event of additional work in the wall I just backout a few screws and take the panel(s) down. Like Tom, I don't rely on the wall covering for structure. Fixtures are hung from cleats that fasten to studs.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

There are upsides and downsides to the various different materials that folks use to line their shop walls. Drywall is very cost effective but comes with the extra labor of doing the joints. It's not the best of one actually wants to be able to fasten "anything anywhere" on the walls. But for folks embracing cleats...it's just great. OSB is rough, splintery, and wasn't designed to be an exposed surface. It soaks up paint like a sponge. But it's also cost effective in that you can nail or screw it up, paint it and be done with it. I will hold screws "reasonably well". Plywood is better for screw holding...as long as it's thick enough. My walls are T1-11 plywood, unpainted and they look great. They are not particular good for screw holding, so anything I did install with screws leveraged structure behind it.

If I were going to build a new shop, I'd probably opt for a combination of drywall overall with some areas getting plywood where it's nature absolutely was required. I'd not use OSB again if I have the choice...I hate working with the stuff. I'd use cleats exclusively for hanging cabinets and other things that need to be on the wall. But that's me...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have painted OSB in my new shop and I hate it. It looks coarse and didn't paint well. If I had it to do over again, I would use what I used in my old shop. That is 1/2 inch by 4 ft by 8 ft exterior masonite siding. It is wood grain textured and is already primed typically a light grey. I liked the color and just left the primer exposed. It is more expensive than OSB or dry wall, but I think it is worth every penny. I agree that T1-11 is good option too.

I used 1/4" OSB screwed to the studs after insulation, primed and painted with semi-gloss. I always attach cabinets to the studs, which are easy to find as the screw heads, although painted, are easy to find.

I used 7/16 OSB and am very happy with it. My previous shop was drywalled; I would never use drywall again in a shop. It gets banged up and it seems there never is a stud where you need to put a conduit clamp or hang something small. You could do 1/2" or 5/8" plywood, although I don't know that the extra cost is worth it over the OSB. My walls are so covered with stuff that you really don't see them that much. Prime the OSB with an oil based primer prior to painting.

Any reason you can not put a very thin coat of drywall texture compound onto OSB. Just enough to level the field so it looks smoother before painting. I suppose you could do it after painting if you feel it needs that and another coat of paint.
    Bill D

Sounds like a $10 solution to a $0.50 problem to me. OSB is rough and does not take paint well. It seems to me like choosing a different material is more appropriate than finishing it like drywall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Any reason you can not put a very thin coat of drywall texture compound onto OSB. Just enough to level the field so it looks smoother before painting. I suppose you could do it after painting if you feel it needs that and another coat of paint.
    Bill D

I have 1/2” plywood on one wall of my shop and love it. Smaller items can be screwed directly to it and larger things can use cleats, etc.
    3/4” would be stronger but also more expensive.

Relevant thread, as I was thinking of asking a similar thing.

I have cinder block right now, and while I painted it gray when I moved in, I'm not loving it. It's super unlevel and it's a PITA trying to get anything small attached to it. For big things, I'm installing anchors which is fine, but if just want to hang a stupid poster. Bzzzzt, gotta do anchors.

I was originally going with doing a layer of 3/4" plywood on top. If I need something like a big cleat for cabinets, I can go all the way through and do an anchor. If I'm just attaching something small, I can just use screws into the plywood. I can grab 3/4" Radiata Pine plywood from Home Depot for $35 a sheet, and my 20x20 garage should need 15 sheets. That fits the budget. But then I have to finish it. I think if I leave it unfinished, it'll end up looking like shit eventually. Should be easy enough with a few gallons of water based poly and a roller.

Seeing the masonite siding though, I'm wondering if that might be a better call. Home Depot has structual primed masonite 4x8 for $32. It has a cool wood texture, and it looks to be 1/2". As a bonus, it's got tongue and groove, so I can create better joints between the panels. With it being structural, could I throw screws into it for light things? Would it be similar to 1/2" plywood?

I'm in the 7/16" OSB camp. My walls have purlins, not studs on the interior side with the OSB screwed to it. The trick to a nice surface is to prime it with a good, OIL BASED primer, tinted if you expect to use a darker finish color. My walls are a light tan with a white ceiling and brush/vacuum easily. My husband's wrenching space is finished the same way except he chose dark lower walls with white upper walls and ceiling. I like being able to attach light items anywhere and use cleats or make sure I attach to a purlin for the heavier items.

Sounds like you are referring to the stuff that has a coating that looks like rustic planks. I used some in a basement
    stairwell, and I like it.

Blog Entries
    Mine is a potpourri of different finishes. Poured concrete, pegboard, painted drywall and unfinished OSB. I did the laundry room in fake beadboard and semi-gloss white painted OSB, which I really like. My son did the inside of his new garage in prefinished T-111 which is very nice. Starting with a clean slate, I would probably opt for 1/2" OSB painted with semi-gloss white.

Edit: To add to this I like OSB BECAUSE of the texture. It is not trying to look like painted drywall. It is a shop. To me the key to making OSB look good is to use semigloss paint. It visually offsets the roughness of the OSB. Doesn't hurt to quickly sand it to remove any boogers. Could even use a drywall sanding pad on a stick. Only issue is the obvious joints. I suppose you could batten them, but that might be worse.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 12-19-2019 at 5:32 PM.
    NOW you tell me...