Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dumb question about cyclones

By definition, a HEPA filter removes 99.97% of particles down to .3 microns. Oneida filters are HEPA, Clearview are not.

A 5 micron bag removes most of the visible dust, but passes all the dangerous particles. It is those fine particles that stay suspended in the air the longest. If your using that bag filter, you need to be wearing a respirator while generating dust and keeping it on long after, even if the air looks clean.

So it isn't a matter of 'if it ain't broke', it is broke, you just don't know it.

Humanity lives in a dusty world. It comes from pollen and a wide and variety of other organic and inorganic particles. You guys are talking like the body is unable to rid itself of any dust. If that were really true, most of us would already be dead. I am not advocating against dust collection and containment. I have and use a dust collector myself. I am just saying that "Bill Pentz" level hysteria and anxiety is not warranted and causes a lot of unnecessary grief.

wood dust sensitivity

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    ...I am just saying that "Bill Pentz" level hysteria and anxiety is not warranted and causes a lot of unnecessary grief.
    Another perspective: Readers might keep in mine that Bill Pentz is not the only person with sensitivity to wood dust. TWO members of our woodturning club had to give up woodturning due to increasing sensitivity to wood dust. One guy, Jerry, did amazing work including beautiful things with a rose engine - his favorite wood was holly. He slowly developed respiratory problems which eventually got so bad he got where he couldn't even walk into his shop building, even after it was emptied completely and twice cleaned professionally. He ended up building and moving to a new house and the last time I visited he was toying with metal turning. I bought his Jet 1642 as a spare.

The point is he worked for many years breathing dust with no problems. I understand he didn't have asthma or other respiratory problems when young - no hint of possible sensitivity. I understand the wood dust sensitivity started slowly then progressed rapidly. When I visited his shop in action, I don't remember seeing a dust collector or respirators.

The sensitivity for any one person can vary and can change over time. Some live to an old age with no problems. Feeling lucky? I choose to use a big cyclone and industrial respirators and monitor the air with a particulate counter. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AWEG0Y

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 12-20-2019 at 11:52 AM.

I just ordered a Wynn filter to go with my cyclone DC system. $260 delivered that lasts for the rest of my woodworking years seems like cheap health insurance. Some folks spend that kind of money on a bottle of scotch or a nice dinner.

I have a friend who developed a terrible respiratory problem from milling walnut and maple for his kitchen floor. As soon as he started using dust collection and a dust mask, his problem went away. He did not do permanent damage to his body. You can find an anecdote to prove any point you like. I am just saying there is a difference between prudence and hysteria.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Another perspective: Readers might keep in mine that Bill Pentz is not the only person with sensitivity to wood dust. TWO members of our woodturning club had to give up woodturning due to increasing sensitivity to wood dust. One guy, Jerry, did amazing work including beautiful things with a rose engine - his favorite wood was holly. He slowly developed respiratory problems which eventually got so bad he got where he couldn't even walk into his shop building, even after it was emptied completely and twice cleaned professionally. He ended up building and moving to a new house and the last time I visited he was toying with metal turning. I bought his Jet 1642 as a spare.

The point is he worked for many years breathing dust with no problems. I understand he didn't have asthma or other respiratory problems when young - no hint of possible sensitivity. I understand the wood dust sensitivity started slowly then progressed rapidly. When I visited his shop in action, I don't remember seeing a dust collector or respirators.

The sensitivity for any one person can vary and can change over time. Some live to an old age with no problems. Feeling lucky? I choose to use a big cyclone and industrial respirators and monitor the air with a particulate counter. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AWEG0Y

JKJ
    Last edited by Art Mann; 12-20-2019 at 6:55 PM.