Thread: New to lasers - software questions

New to lasers - software questions

Hi Guys. I got a 50w chinese laser (blue white with rotary) yesterday from a guy local. Came with RD works and a Corel plugin.

What version of Corel (Draw I am guessing?) should I acquire? Is there any info you can direct me to?
    I am enrolled in a local CC so I qualify for student discounts if that works to help?
    What would you guys recommend I load and use?
    Please and THANK YOU for any help or info.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Hi Mike,

Pretty sure a lot of guys are using old versions of Corel Draw, mine is X7 and I'm not having any issues, but I use a ULS laser with different software.
    Brian Lamb
    Lamb Tool Works, Custom tools for woodworkers
    Equipment: Felder KF700 and AD741, Milltronics CNC Mill, Universal Laser X-600

I'm also using X7, haven't really seen a need to upgrade. Just be careful with getting the Student Versions. Older student versions didn't support VBA, which might be what your plugin might need in order to work. I don't know if this is still the case with the latest CorelDraw 2019
    Trotec Speedy 360 - 80W, Graphtec CE6000-60, Brother GTX, Sawgrass SG400

I use x3 and x4... x4 is a big upgrade over x3 , but mostly concerning menus for me- as in , the basic 'open' menu, x4 is expandable, x3 is not, and x4's 'open' takes advantage of win7's larger preview screen. Then there's the 'paper type/size' (table) menu, x3 is one big long menu, x4's menu has a 'favorites' menu incorporated, lots less scrolling. I wouldn't even USE x3, except for an anomaly with x4 in which imported DXF's bring in text that SHOULD be center justified, as LEFT justified, which requires tons of time to re-align it. I'm not sure why this is, and I've never found a fix for it. But x3 brings in ALL text justified correctly. Since about 70% of my jobs are supplied as DXF's, I use x3. Corel x5 may do that correctly, and I know x6 DOES-- but I'm a cheapskate, and for my purposes, any other upgrades are likely be negligible to me. The only operational difference I've found between x3 and x4 is the lack of 'draw table' in x3, which is handy for doing matrix name plate cuts and such...

My BIL has x6 and just loves it. But he does much more 'artistic' work than I do. Me, my customers do most of the artistic parts, I just do what it takes to make their art engraveable ...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    I'm still using X7, want to probably upgrade next year... We'll see. But the Plugin to send direct to RDworks won't work with student versions X7 and earlier for sure. The EDUCATION version will, you might can get one of those, it is a full version not student crippleware. The plugin if you do it right, makes it easy to send direct to RDworks.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I have X7 but prefer to use X5.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Time to find some X7 and RDworks tutorials now. Thanks for the advice.

IMG_20191219_214406_1.jpg

My first cuts in acrylic. X7 and rdworks plugin.

Don’t forget to give Lightburn a try, as a replacement for RDWorks, it has a 30 day free trial. I used to use Inkscape a lot to design stuff, but am using Lightburn more and more for this.
    Shenhui SG350 fitted with a 60w tube.
    Aeon Nova 10 100w tube.
    Aeon Mira 5030 30w RF tube.
    20w Fiber Laser.
    50w Fiber Laser.
    Located in the Isle of Man, which isn't in the UK but almost surrounded by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Ashcroft View Post
    Don’t forget to give Lightburn a try, as a replacement for RDWorks, it has a 30 day free trial. I used to use Inkscape a lot to design stuff, but am using Lightburn more and more for this.
    Second this recommendation. Don't waste your time with RDWorks. LightBurn is WAY more user friendly, less buggy and being actively developed. Give it a try!
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Utick View Post
    Second this recommendation. Don't waste your time with RDWorks. LightBurn is WAY more user friendly, less buggy and being actively developed. Give it a try!
    It all depends on what you are doing. I tried lightburn and found that for what I do RDworks is just as good and I already have it.

I use Everything from Inkscape, GIMP, AutoCAD, and Paint 3D, but I use a commercial sign software to produce the final image/vectors, then import to Lightburn.
    Experiment and see what works for you and your style of business.

13. I have pretty much all the recent versions of Corel x6, x8, 2018 and now 2019. I buy the yearly license that gives free upgrades..200ish a year I think it is. I just started with 19, but 18 was a vast improvement over the others. I use it for signmaking, laser engraving, graphics..etc... 2018 drives our Trotec 360 80w just dandy. Zero issues with files.

I ended up buying lightburn and their camera. Its very awesome. I also have other software like inventor and aspire to make vectors. I imported a dxf from Aspire last night and just selected the lines and assigned the colors and speed/power accordingly. It worked out great.

also added a chiller (S&A CW-5200DH) and got the laser correctly vented and also on my shop air supply. Very happy.