Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Truck suggestions

Blog Entries

Truck suggestions

I'll make this short and sweet. I'm looking at mid size trucks and I'm unsure what to get. The options are:
    Chevy Colorado
    Ford Ranger
    Toyota Tacoma

All things being equal I'd like to at least try buying American however I've owned two GM's (cars) that were trash and a good friend had a ford focus that was nothing but trouble. I'd love to hear form some Chevy or Ford owners about reliability.

Thanks in advance.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    - Carl Sagan

I have an older F350 diesel which has been great, and a Ford C-max hybrid which has been surprisingly good given the reviews. (It's been recalled multiple times for computer reprogramming, but no actual problems) I think Chevy trucks are better than their cars. I told both of my kids to buy Toyota because they can't afford repairs. How's that for taking all sides of the question?

FWIW, I drive a Mini Cooper, which needs fixing all the time, but is a ton of fun to drive.

Motor Trend magazine just wrote that among mid size trucks, they would recommend the base model Ford Ranger, as being best bang for the buck. I imagine you can find the on line article, it came in the E-mail to me.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

On my second GMC first a Sierra, now a Canyon 4WD Extended Cab, I remain a GM customer.

I've owned Chevy's and Fords. The only one that was a bomb was an '85Chevy Diesel. A '97 Silverado was a great truck, too.

Currently I have a '97Ford F250 Diesel Powerstroke I can't imagine selling.
    I also have an '06 F150 that has 200K on it 5.4L Triton horrible gas mileage but by far the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned of any type -truck, suv or car.

IMO recommendations don't mean much because any of those vehicles you're looking at would be good, or could have problems it really boils down to an individual vehicle, not a brand. Many parts like engines are made overseas most vehicles are just assembled in USA, including Toyota, Honda.

If you're looking at used, I recommend buying from a dealer & avoid the used car lots and Craigslist.

Considering the difference in price, maintenance, mileage if cargo/hauling capacity is a factor, I would go with a full size truck.
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 12-18-2019 at 9:37 AM.

I have a Ranger 2011 and a Ford Fusion 2014, and many Ford vehicles in the past and rate them very high. Quality, reliability and quality cannot be beat.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Ford ranger is not an American style truck. It is designed for Africa and Australasia with poor roads and multi ton loads. It will not have a comfy paved road ride.
    Probably better served by a F150 which is only about 15% bigger. The "New" ranger is about 10 years old and will be replaced in a year or two.

I like the Nissan Frontier. I drive a Ram 1500 because the Frontier I sold was not big enough to pull a travel trailer. Otherwise, it was an excellent product. I just don't think the quality of any US brand small truck will measure up to the Japanese offerings.

In our area a Ford F-150-new- doesn’t really cost much more than the new Ford ranger and you are getting way more vehicle. A tried and proven engine, drive train etc. I have a 15 and an 18 and have had 0 problems with them. I don’t think the fuel economy is appreciably better for the ranger either. I looked at both and it was an easy decision to get the 150

I got my tacoma in 2003. Not one mechanical issue and still runs great. Just tires, oil changes, brakes, and batteries. My choice would be toyota, ford then chevy. Ford would be my choice if you want to buy american.

My wife has a 2008 Tacoma she has not been particularly nice to and it has held up fantastically well with virtually zero mechanical issues. So well in fact that I'm a convert. Between the abuse she's given that truck and the abuse I saw the Hilux's (Tacoma's cousin) get during my time in the Middle East-- and they still ran great-- I plan on our next vehicle being their Tacoma or 4Runner.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

the taco is a very old design, and gets worse mpg for less power.

i have had several GM trucks, and never any issues to note. my office mate has a f-250 that has been in the shop as much as on the road in the year he has owned it. My company switched to GM from Ford for our work trucks over the last couple years, of which we have several thousand, 1/2, 3/4 and 1 tons. our maintenance cost has plummeted.

Tacoma and hilux are distant cousins at best. if i could buy a new 70 series with the d4d, i would have one. I drove the hilux's and new 70 series when i worked in Aus.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    the taco is a very old design, and gets worse mpg for less power.
    That's fair. Her Tacoma gets the same (if not a smidge worse) gas mileage than my (newer) full sized Ram 1500 with an 8' bed. Toyota trucks are known for being overdesigned and not over powered. I'm hoping that by the time we're on the market for a new vehicle that Toyota has closed the fuel economy gap a bit between their truck and others.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Is this vehicle mostly for work & hauling, or is it a daily around town driver? If the latter, I'd check out the Honda Ridgeline. Its as much "North American" as the three you mentioned. Of those three, I'd go with the Tacoma. I had one once and it was a good truck, with all the drawbacks already mentioned. My son had a Ranger, and it rattled and rusted its way to an early grave. Colorado doesn't get good ratings in Consumer Reports, or any other car magazine/website, if you give their reviews attention.

Blog Entries
    Thanks to everyone for your insight. Looks like I have to do a little more research.