Thread: Wooton's Patent Desk

Blog Entries

Wooton's Patent Desk

These desks have grabbed my interest over the years. They are like a big Studley Tool Box for use in the office:

Wooton Desk.jpg

Lately Family Entertainment Television has included some old western themed programs in their schedule, Tombstone Territory and Bat Masterson. Candy likes the theme song from Tombstone Territory and her mother always watched the program because she thought Pat Conway was a real hunk. The desk in the Sherif's Office is the Wooten model in the image above.

This last weekend while watching Bat Masterson, the same model desk showed up in two episodes which had story lines in two different cities.

Was this fancy desk actually that popular in the wild west of the late 19th century or is it more likely since the two programs had the same creators and producers, they also likely had the same prop departments?

here is a link to a .pdf of the catalog:

https://ia600500.us.archive.org/24/i...atal00woot.pdf

Kind of fun desk, but at the current price it isn't likely one will ever come home with me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Man, that's a beauty isnt it?

I just saw one of these for the very first time the other day in the February issue of FWW. An Aussie named Stephen Williams just built one - it's in the Gallery section on page 72. (Mr. Williams does really nice work!)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Those are beautiful and unique.

My first time seeing one, thanks for posting, Jim. I've always love that style & design.
    You know the main body had to be built like a tank.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

They shared scripts, why not props.

I read on the interweb (so it must be true) that in the late '50's there were more than 50 Western TV shows playing. Divide that up by three networks, and three hours of prime time, and that makes a LOT of Westerns.

The Olympics (?) even had a hit song called Western Movies.

PS: Just checked the prices for that desk............Superior grade...$750, in 1879. Wow.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 12-20-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    These desks have grabbed my interest over the years. They are like a big Studley Tool Box for use in the office:

Wooton Desk.jpg

Lately Family Entertainment Television has included some old western themed programs in their schedule, Tombstone Territory and Bat Masterson. Candy likes the theme song from Tombstone Territory and her mother always watched the program because she thought Pat Conway was a real hunk. The desk in the Sherif's Office is the Wooten model in the image above.

This last weekend while watching Bat Masterson, the same model desk showed up in two episodes which had story lines in two different cities.

Was this fancy desk actually that popular in the wild west of the late 19th century or is it more likely since the two programs had the same creators and producers, they also likely had the same prop departments?

here is a link to a .pdf of the catalog:

https://ia600500.us.archive.org/24/i...atal00woot.pdf

Kind of fun desk, but at the current price it isn't likely one will ever come home with me.
    Nice winter project, if you ever find yourself under long-term house arrest.

It sure sounds like they only had one of them, and they just passed it around. That would blow the budget for an entire episode!

I have seen these in other westerns as well but I cannot think of the names. I think they are awesome! They are not sold cheap though!

I built a wooton desk back in the 90's. What an undertaking that was; I think I made about $3.00 tops, with all the extra work and time put in. The Smithsonian was where I had seen it (industrial arts building) and one of the curators working there was extremely helpful in getting a set of copied dimensions for me. I made it from local black cherry.
    Where did I put those band aids?

For those mentioning the price, what is the “current” price on one?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    For those mentioning the price, what is the “current” price on one?
    A few are listed on ebay in a range of prices starting less than $10,000 to a better example seen at $35,000.

You never know about the ones sitting in the back of antique shops for the past half century.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-24-2019 at 1:55 PM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Just did a quick look at fleabay, there's one now listed. And if you act now, you can save $100,000 off the original price. The current price?

Just wait...

Still those ink stained check writing hands...

Only $150,000. Look at the money you'd save!

Just for the ability to file something and not find it for 15 years!

I think I'll stick to my beat up slant front bureau. I lose enough stuff in that.

-Tom

Omg!! Caramba!!