Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Truck suggestions

After a lifetime of Ford F-150’s, I bought a Toyota Tundra crew cab in 2010. It’s been an excellent truck, every bit as good as a Ford and is built in the U.S.A. The 5.7L V8 has plenty of power but gas mileage is only 16 in town and on the road. It has never needed anything but routine maintenance. My wife has been driving Camry’s since 2007 with the same excellent reliability.

I expect the Tacoma will be just as reliable.

(My last F-150 was breaking down so often I decided to try Toyota.)
    Last edited by Mark Daily; 12-18-2019 at 11:37 AM.

I owned a 2017 Colorado and now have a 2019 Colorado. The Ranger is interesting but its only engine option is the 2.3 L four-cylinder. The Colorado can be equipped with a 3.6 L six. The Colorado V6 gets at least 15% more HP, has no turbo lag and you aren't beating the heck out of it (like you may with the little 4 cyl) when you put a load into it. I get decent mileage. On the 2017 over 17K miles I averaged 22.5 mpg. But I drive like an old man. In 2021 or 2022, I think that the Colorado is getting a make-over.

Blog Entries
    Thanks I'll take a look at the Ridgeline.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    - Carl Sagan

We're sold on Chevy trucks, but not cars. My husband has driven three 3/4 ton (2500) trucks in a row for his work vehicle and they've held up great with minimal trouble. I also had a 3/4 ton Silverado with which a towed a large gooseneck horse trailer for years. I got out of horses, sold the truck which was 12 years old with 178,000 miles for $7500.00. The only thing other than maintenance items I had done to it was a exhaust mainfold gasket. We have friends in the construction trades that have switched to Chevy/GMC trucks after their Fords cost them a fortune to keep on the road past year 3.

Look at the resale on the 3 you are looking at, the Tacoma has always had great resale value. I think in the long run (if you plan to drive it for 15 years) the Tacoma will be the least expensive to maintain and repair. Thats just my opinion.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by jared herbert View Post
    In our area a Ford F-150-new- doesn’t really cost much more than the new Ford ranger and you are getting way more vehicle. A tried and proven engine, drive train etc. I have a 15 and an 18 and have had 0 problems with them. I don’t think the fuel economy is appreciably better for the ranger either. I looked at both and it was an easy decision to get the 150

The ranger is really designed to haul a lot of weight on poor roads with a diesel. The gas engine is an afterthought for USA customers. Ford no longer makes cars so they do not have a good range of gas engines and transmissions for the ranger.
    Bill D

Test drive them all, and get the one you like best. My current truck is a diesel/dually that I bought new in Nov. 2000. #28 off the assembly line the first year of the Duramax/Allison. 334,000 miles, the last time I looked.

My preference is the GM independent front suspension, that drives like a car on the road, because the vast majority of my driving is on the road. I don't know if those same differences transfer down to the smaller trucks.

I've worn out some of all of them. I always test drive before I decide.

Last year I replaced my 2003 Ford Ranger Edge with a 2018 (2019 model year) Ford Ranger Wildtrak. In 2011, Ford stopped the Ranger production in the U.S., but the rest of the world continued. My Wildtrak was made in South Africa and has the 3.2L 5-cylinder diesel (200HP) motor, a 6-speed automatic transmission, and the extended cab, not the crew cab. It took me a while to find a stocking dealer who has the truck I wanted, because the 4-door version is most common version. I wanted the F150 or Dodge Ram, both of which are available here, but neither would fit in my garage and they are available only in the 4-door version. The Wildtrak just fits with about five inches to spare in the front and back, and just enough room on the side so my wife can park her car.

There is very little comparison between the Edge and the Wildtrak. Contrary to other comments, the Wildtrak is just as comfortable as any car I've owned and has power to spare on the Autobahn at 160KPH. The Edge was not quiet or comfortable at any speed, but smoothed out a bit when loaded with ten full sheets of 19mm plywood.

The Wildtrak was designed by the Australians for the outback, and they hit a home run with it. The new U.S. version, the Raptor, is also available here this year, but buyers are not limited to the 2.3L Ecoboost motor and 10-speed automatic transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    I got my tacoma in 2003. Not one mechanical issue and still runs great. Just tires, oil changes, brakes, and batteries. My choice would be toyota, ford then chevy. Ford would be my choice if you want to buy american.
    Toyota Tacoma and Tundra are both very close in "% made in America" with Ford. BTW I agree with your call on Toyota. I own an 18 year old Tundra. Only 2 recalls on it over its life. Only major mechanical failure has been a hydraulic steering rack 3 years ago which I learned later was a fairly typical lifespan. Needless to say, I'm shopping for another Tundra.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    The Ranger is interesting but its only engine option is the 2.3 L four-cylinder..
    Well that rules the ranger out!
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    - Carl Sagan

The engine is the ranger is more than enough. When I was looking at trucks, I found the Colorado, ranger and tacomas to small, especially if you have adult passengers. As the driver, and I drove all of them, I actually liked the Ranger best, but I can't stand how cheap and dated the interior of Ford. I ended up getting a Ram 1500, with the V6 rather than the V8. I'm getting around 20 mpg.

Scott,
    I just traded in a 2016 Colorado with the v6 and got a 2019 Silverado with the 5.3 v8 (went in for an oil change on the Colorado and they made me an offer I couldn't refuse). Had 45k on the Colorado, zero problems, just wanted a bigger truck. I don't know about the other mid size trucks, but the Colorado only has 46 inches between the wheel wells, and I haul a lot of plywood, so that wasn't good. My Colorado had a lot more interior room than the Toyota. Btw it was a long bed crew cab (relatively rare). The Silverado is just the extended cab (not crew cab) and is almost same length as the Colorado. The Silverado also is getting slightly better MPG than the Colorado. It selectively shuts down cylinders when cruising.A couple years ago the Colorado beat the Toyota in a Car and Driver comparison. I'm very happy with the Silverado.but the Silverado is definitely wider, so harder to maneuver in the parking lot wars.
    Last edited by Nike Nihiser; 12-18-2019 at 8:37 PM.

I bought a 2019 Ranger crew cab two weeks ago during the end of model year/black Friday promotions. So far I love it. The technology is top notch. Ride is good for a truck, would probably be better with a little weight in the back. Don't fret the 4 cylinder engine; it's turbo charged, has tons of torque, and is coupled with a 10 speed tranny. In a blind test you would never know you were driving a 4 cylinder.

It's rated to tow 7500 lbs; no other mid size beats that. I did a short test (you're not supposed to tow during first 1000 miles) and towed my skid steer a bit; close to 6000 lbs with trailer. Handled it just fine. If I were towing heavy every day I would want a bigger truck, but for lighter towing or occasional towing, it seems it will do fine. It fits (snugly) in my garage, which a 150 or bigger wouldn't do.

I owned two rangers previously and this one is way better (and quite a bit bigger). So far I've been averaging 21-22 mpg. Two weeks isn't long enough to develop a full impression, but so far I have no gripes.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

We have a 2017 GMC Canyon crew cab 4wd with a diesel. Around 55K miles on it now with no complaints. Average city/highway fuel milesage is 27.2, and the highway mileage is typically 31. Rated towing capacity is 7700 lbs (which we've pulled multiple times).

Overall I'm very pleased with the truck. Sure, it doesn't tow like our Excursion or F450's, but then again they don't get 31mpg....

It is quiet and handles well. Back seat is a little tight, but a crew cab is a bit of a compromise on a small truck so no big deal.

I'd buy it again.

Blog Entries
    check out
    https://bollingermotors.com/bollinger-b1/

This thing is bleeding edge.
    Screenshot - Thursday,12,19,2019 , 09_38_46.jpg
    All electric so the mfr realized that they could make both the front and back open. So you can go down the road with a long board sticking out both the front and back.
    I have no earthly idea who would buy one of these things but bless them. It's the early adopters that pay for the innovation that we all enjoy.

I had a 1990 Ranger and drove it into the ground. It was a great little truck.