Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Truck suggestions

Don't underestimate the capability of the smaller engines in the mid-size offerings. These new generation 4 cylinder engines are pretty impressive, especially those with turbo. While it's not a pickup, my Subaru Ascent has a 2.4L TT engine (regular fuel) and its performance acceleration is anecdotally on par with the 5.7L Hemi V8 that was in my previous Grand Cherokee which was only about 500 lbs heavier. And I get about 27 mpg on the highway which is pretty decent for a vehicle just under 5000 lbs.

I also agree with Mr. King about getting out and test driving as many different options as possible so you can ascertain what feels the best for you in size, comfort and performance based on your own needs. I'm a RAM and Tundra fan for larger pickups, but that's just my own preferences. I've no experience with any of the mid-sized products but the Tacoma, Canyon and Ranger are all worthy. (Although I'd not even look at a Ford right now because of how a close friend has been treated relative to a major problem that's put her family in jeopardy multiple times recently...not going to go into that here, however)
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-19-2019 at 10:12 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    check out
    https://bollingermotors.com/bollinger-b1/

This thing is bleeding edge.
    Attachment 421816
    All electric so the mfr realized that they could make both the front and back open. So you can go down the road with a long board sticking out both the front and back.
    I have no earthly idea who would buy one of these things but bless them. It's the early adopters that pay for the innovation that we all enjoy.

I had a 1990 Ranger and drove it into the ground. It was a great little truck.
    $125,000 for a truck with a 200 mile range seems to be stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kilroy View Post
    I'll make this short and sweet. I'm looking at mid size trucks and I'm unsure what to get. The options are:
    Chevy Colorado
    Ford Ranger
    Toyota Tacoma

All things being equal I'd like to at least try buying American however I've owned two GM's (cars) that were trash and a good friend had a ford focus that was nothing but trouble. I'd love to hear form some Chevy or Ford owners about reliability.

Thanks in advance.
    Hmmm. I'm certain you're aware of how much trucks cost nowadays? I drive a late-model (Japanese) sedan and a late-model (Japanese) hatchback, both of which I love, economical, comfortable and fun to drive. When I want a truck, I just _rent_ one, big as I my heart desires. I'm saving SOOOO much money, I can afford to outfit a shop with whatever tools I want. :^) Trucks are such a major profit center for the auto manufacturers, that's all some of them make.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 12-19-2019 at 11:20 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Hmmm. I'm certain you're aware of how much trucks cost nowadays? I drive a late-model (Japanese) sedan and a late-model (Japanese) hatchback, both of which I love, economical, comfortable and fun to drive. When I want a truck, I just _rent_ one, big as I my heart desires. I'm saving SOOOO much money, I can afford to outfit a shop with whatever tools I want. :^) Trucks are such a major profit center for the auto manufacturers, that's all some of them make.
    That's not a bad idea, I need a new car so I thought I'd at least consider a truck.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    - Carl Sagan

Scott, I had a pick-em-up truck before we adopted our girls. It was nice to have and quite handy. But I don't miss it one bit...I drive SUVs because they are more practical day to day and can carry what I need the majority of time. I have a 5'x8' utility trailer that I can haul pretty much anything else I need to get between point A and point B and if I really want a pick-up for something, a rental is readily available and pretty inexpensive, such as from Home Depot. I can fit several 9' boards in my Subaru Ascent and still be able to close the rear gate (which I wouldn't drive with it open anyway) so I only really use the trailer for larger loads.
    --

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the reply, now I'm rethinking the whole "buy a truck" idea You make a lot of good points.
    - Carl Sagan

I big ol' truck might not be the most practical for where you live, either, Scott. Parking trucks can be a bear in more urban areas for sure.
    --

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I big ol' truck might not be the most practical for where you live, either, Scott. Parking trucks can be a bear in more urban areas for sure.
    True, unfortunately no one makes a small truck anymore. What I really want is something the size of a old Tacoma or the Old Ranger.
    - Carl Sagan

My truck is a rolling toolbox, it's where most of my power and hand tools reside. Truck is a must for me--

f250.jpg

It's an '02 owned since new, was a 4 year lease. Residual was half it's worth so I bought it. It only has 61k miles on it, so 'longevity' isn't really a fair test yet, but even so, it's only on it's second battery (first lasted 11 years), 2nd set of brakes, and 2nd fuel pump. Funny thing, the battery, fuel pump, and brakes, all went bad while at our boat harbor, still trying to figure out that coincidence ... It's obviously in great shape, and looks like it's been pampered, yes? Well, in the approx. 6300 days I've owned it, only about 30 of them was it ever in a garage, otherwise, always outside, fully exposed. I've have never waxed it (I won't wax any car, I have my reasons), or treated it a dose of car polish. Once in awhile I wash it. Living in the Salt Lake area, it's been driven on salted roads every winter, and there's no hint of any rust cancer starting. Can't say that about my trusty Chebby van ...

I'm not a Ford guy per se, I'll buy anything if I like it, but Fords over the years have given me great service.
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 12-21-2019 at 1:23 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    My truck is a rolling toolbox, it's where most of my power and hand tools reside. Truck is a must for me--
    I'm in the suburbs of New York City so even with a locked cover I wouldn't be able to really store anything in the truck I couldn't afford to lose. If I do get a truck I'm thinking of leaving the back uncapped so as to not tempt anyone to break in. Oh city life, what fun
    - Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Kilroy View Post
    What I really want is something the size of a old Tacoma or the Old Ranger.
    Yea, the latest incarnations of the mid-size trucks are larger than the "back in the day" versions for sure.
    --

I am of no help, I have always owned one ton crew cabs. Never saw the point of anything smaller.

Blog Entries
    I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who offered advice. Saw Mill Creek has got to be the nicest community on the internet. I asked people for their opinion and it didn't turn into a fight. I hope everyone realizes how rare this is.

Now if we could only do something about YouTube commentators.
    - Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I am of no help, I have always owned one ton crew cabs. Never saw the point of anything smaller.
    I'm thinking that you buy tools in the same way, Darcy. LOL Nothing small need apply...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm thinking that you buy tools in the same way, Darcy. LOL Nothing small need apply...
    I would love a 6 door with a 12 foot flatbed, plenty of room for the kids and the great dane, never been concerned about parking either.