Thread: Thinking about buying a Grizzly G0634Z

Thinking about buying a Grizzly G0634Z

looking for any comment from owners/ users

https://www.grizzly.com/products/Gri...-G0634-/G0634Z

Willing to look at other brands also, just don't know who makes one like this.
    Want to stay under 4k all in, taxes, shipping, etc

main use will be face jointing and then planing other side even, will probably keep my 6" Jet with removable extension tables, (18' overall) for edge jointing
    tight in basement shop and this would replace a 12" planer

thanks in advance
    Ron

Ron -
    I have no specific experience with this Grizzly j/p, but I have a Robland XSD310, which is nearly identical in layout and features. I can say a few things for sure -
    1) you will not regret having the 12" capacity - it's great!
    2) the planer works well, but you will need to ensure you have good infeed/outfeed rollers to support longer pieces. This can be awkward with such a low planer table.
    3) I have a 3-bladed straight cutter head, and my 3hp is plenty powerful for jointing wide hardwoods. You might consider saving some $$ on a 3hp unit
    4) Consider a used tool - there are several sites that sell used equipment (publicsurplus.com, RT Machinery, EX-Factory), and if you know what you are looking for or can do a bit of research on the web, you can find some real bargains.
    5) If you are real tight on space, consider a european combination machine - although very expensive when new, you can get a good used Robland X31, Hammer, Felder or similar machine (table saw, shaper, jointer, planer, mortiser) for $2000-3000.
    6) I've had good luck with Grizzly machines, and they are very good about stocking parts. I bought a used sliding table saw that was missing the crosscut fence, and they were able to get all needed parts!

Hope this helps

Thank you John
    Space is tight, however have a SawStop ICS 36" fence on mobile base that is going nowhere
    Would be nice to fold the jointer and planer into one machine, only experience there was with a RBI unit and was not good, however the Grizzly looks better, and since have found Jet on the web, will check out the Others you mention also. Appreciate the sites you provided for me to check out.Did check out a King Industrial unit yesterday however it was new to the vendor and noone there really knew anything about it. Guy who did was off, they did say they had literally unpacked it the day before and placed it on the floor.

Ron,

I don't know of many other contemporary combination jointer/planers (thicknessers) that still use the sloped, sliding adjustment for jointer infeed/outfeed table height adjustment.

This type design requires that the jointer fence must be removed when the planer is used.

The sloped alignment of the hinges for tilting the jointer tables up, out of the way for planing, also means that the ends of the raised tables also angle back, away from the machine. This increases the clearance needed behind the machine when planing.

The Grizzly model also uses two different dust ports for planing and jointing, requiring the dust collector connection to be changed between the two (or separate hoses/blast gates for them).

Most manufacturers have gone to the eccentric/parallelogram table height adjustment systems, available from several manufacturers in widths from 10" to 16" or more, with HSS or carbide (spiral) cutter heads.

These units allow the jointer fence to remain on the jointer tables while the machine is converted to planing mode (some models may require the jointer fence be slid to the forward edge of the jointer table before lifting/tilting the jointer tables up, out of the way for planing).

Also, since the jointer tables retain their parallel/co-planar relationship when lifted/tilted up for planing, less clearance is needed behind the machine when planing.

This design also uses a single dust collection hood that swings/flips over the cutter head for planing, and under the cutter head for jointing. However, this usually requires the planar table to be lowered to clear the swinging dust collection hood when converting from planing to jointing or back.

These models are available from Rikon, Jet, Felder Group (Hammer, Felder, & Format lines), and certainly others.

Andy

Another difference between the Grizzly model, and the other models is the style of jointer cutter guard.

The Grizzly uses the traditional North American "pork chop" style guard, whereas the others use the "Euro-style" cutter guard. Some people really prefer one style over the other, some people don't care as much. If face-jointing a wide board, I would prefer the Euro style, because it does not swing out in front of the machine like the pork chop style. However, if jointing a more narrow board/edge, with the jointer fence moved towards the front for convenience, the front end of the Euro style guard sticks out in front of the machine. Some machines offer a hinged guard that avoids this, and some users purchase a second guard part, and cut it in two (one-third and two-thirds length) to give them custom length guards to use with the jointer fence moved forward on the machine.

Andy

I recall seeing a review of that J/P (or perhaps its 3HP predecessor) on YouTube and the owner complained about having to find a spot to put the fence while in planing mode. I have the Rikon 25-210H (their 12" helical J/P) and am currently working in a 12'x14' space... I think I'd wind up having to put the fence out in the living room while planing!

With my machine it's really nice how the tables & fence all lift up as a unit. In fact, if the darn outfeed table would just stay calibrated I would recommend it! It even comes with a planer outfeed table.

Another thing to note with the G0634Z is the number of inserts, it only has 32 - I suspect that it would deliver a rougher finish than mine which has 56 inserts. But it's also $400 less!

Good luck!

Blog Entries
    I have the Grizzly 12” jointer, and I love it. I have room for it, and I appreciate fully not having room and wanting this combo planer instead of two larger tools. I would say if it is all you can fit, get it, but the down side is that is a very short bed for a jointer. I love my aircraft carrier sized bed for jointing long boards. It is on wheels so I can move it out of the way as needed.