Thread: Mark forums as read.

Blog Entries

Mark forums as read.

Any way to automatically mark forums as read? A setting I am missing? I long for the old days when it was done automatically.
    NOW you tell me...

I don't know of an automatic way, but at the bottom of the main forum page there is a link to mark all forums as read.

Mark-Forums-Read.jpg

At the top of every page on the menu bar under Donate select the Forum actions link and then Mark Forums Read from the dropdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    At the top of every page on the menu bar under Donate select the Forum actions link and then Mark Forums Read from the dropdown.
    And that's what I do after every single visit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Thanks, I know how to mark them read, I am lamenting that it used to be done automatically as it is currently done on other VBulletin forums I frequent. But it appears they are using an older version, v3.8.8 Beta1 in one case.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Thanks, I know how to mark them read, I am lamenting that it used to be done automatically as it is currently done on other VBulletin forums I frequent. But it appears they are using an older version, v3.8.8 Beta1 in one case.
    If memory serves me correctly, it's been "broken" on here for a few years now. And of course the Creek wants to get off vBulletin, but that's a non-trivial task that requires a good bit of effort and time on behalf of their admin.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

vBulletin isn't broken, they made the change several years ago that stopped marking threads at the end of a session. The last upgrade we purchased failed to install and the remote access to our forums is not the best. I can offer a list of things that should be corrected or improved but it just isn't worth the time. I purchased Xenforo a couple of years ago but our server Admin has not been able to find the time to upgrade so my hands are tied. It will happen I but its useless from me to predict any time frame.

I'm actually liking that the auto-marking disappeared as it was timer based and a lengthy interruption to viewing the site would result in everything being marked "read" before I got to read them.

Keith, XenForo permits the end user to mark whole sub-forums (or the site) as read if they want to "similar" to clicking on the "mark forums read" in our current SMC implementation. And clicking on a thread title automatically takes one to the most recent unread post...no more having to zero in on that little marker in front of a title with the pointer to do that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...