Thread: Walnut Charcuterie Boards

Walnut Charcuterie Boards

Three new walnut Charcuterie boards I made for gifts. The one with the butterfly is for my wife, and the other two are for friends. The piece I used for my wife's had a nasty knot that was separating form the rest of the board. I didn't want to just chuck it, so I tried my first attempt at epoxy and threw in my first butterfly (quartersawn sycamore) for good measure. All the boards are sanded to 600 grit and finished with Odie's Oil. I like these types of projects because I get to experiment and try new things. I use mostly hand tools, but this was good practice cutting curves on the bandsaw and using my power router with mixed results.

IMG_4760.jpgIMG_4763.jpgIMG_4646.jpgIMG_4650.jpgIMG_4651.jpgIMG_4654.jpgIMG_4655.jpgIMG_4658.jpg

I have step by step and more details if anyone is interested on my SimpleCove post

https://www.simplecove.com/1333/waln...uterie-boards/

Nice work Steven. I just saw several boards like this selling for about $50-70 at a kitchen store. A great way to make use of some short boards. I like the way you did the hanging holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Nice work Steven. I just saw several boards like this selling for about $50-70 at a kitchen store. A great way to make use of some short boards. I like the way you did the hanging holes.
    Thanks Stan. It has crossed my mind to make some templates to batch these out to sell.

Very nice work, Steven. Good job with the asymmetric details, too...they sure make things a LOT more interesting!

I do the manufacturing work and personalization for a client who sells charcuterie boards...they are a very popular thing these days! I actually just cut one with that "ring" type handle a week ago after seeing an example "out there". What I enjoy the most is taking a somewhat gnarly looking piece of wood and asking it what it wants to look like. That black walnut you used was perfect for that!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the play by play. Looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Very nice work, Steven. Good job with the asymmetric details, too...they sure make things a LOT more interesting!

I do the manufacturing work and personalization for a client who sells charcuterie boards...they are a very popular thing these days! I actually just cut one with that "ring" type handle a week ago after seeing an example "out there". What I enjoy the most is taking a somewhat gnarly looking piece of wood and asking it what it wants to look like. That black walnut you used was perfect for that!
    Thanks, and yes they do. The ring came from walking through the store and my wife seeing one with that handle and me telling her I could make it. After some back and forth and her accusing me of being too slow, I decided I better knock these out to prove I'm only a little slow

Quote Originally Posted by David Bolson View Post
    Thanks for the play by play. Looks great!

Thanks David! I always enjoy seeing the how to's so thought I'd share

I like them they look very stylish and useful. I’m not sure if I like the yellow bow tie. As first glance I thought it was a old piece of cheese.
    The round handle ones are my favorite
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    I like them they look very stylish and useful. I’m not sure if I like the yellow bow tie. As first glance I thought it was a old piece of cheese.
    The round handle ones are my favorite
    Fair enough different cheddars for different fellers. And thanks. I like the round handles too, but it was fun to play around with shapes