Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pattern Makers Vise

Pattern Makers Vise

Gentlemen,

I have an opportunity to buy a pattern makers vise locally. As far as I can tell from the pictures, the tilt adjustment apparatus is broken/missing.

Presentation1.jpg

I think its missing this assembly (looks to be broken at the 90 degree bend on the "L":

TA2-pearson06.jpg

Are these parts available or more like hen's teeth?

If the asking price is around $100, should I snap it up?

What other common failure points shall I inspect?

Your Help is Most Appreciated!
    There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.

Blog Entries
    My desire for a pattern maker's vise brought me to purchase a modern copy.

If your internet searches didn't find a few sources, start here > http://www.mprime.com/Emmert/forsale.htm <

Good hunting,

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim,

I spoke to Bill over at CS machinery who is still making parts for these. Even his very reasonable parts prices push this thing past the price point of the what Highland woodworking has to offer.

Thanks for pulling me back from the edge.

JD
    There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.

I had looked at that one too.....still looking for another one.

My friend gave me one that’s also missing the tilt. It sits on the floor. Too cool to move it out of the way to where I’ll never get around to it, but I have found that handscrews do a great job of holding irregular work, and I wonder if the Emmert would be any less fiddling. The gadget impulse is strong but I wonder how much anyone needs that irresistible piece of gear.

Mine was a complete, secondhand purchase.

It takes the faff out of basic and odd shaped workholding.
    It's the rotation feature that works for me.

Stiff old oliver

I just got an Oliver #1, but the darn thing won’t rotate without a lot of strain and grunting by me. I have taken it apart and cleaned the mating round surfaces and used white lithium grease but still very tight. Any suggestions? The tightening lever is in good working order but I could not get it all the way apart. Not sure I need to.

Blog Entries
    Howdy James and welcome to the Creek.

This may be better if you started a new post.

If you want to post images (they always help) you will need to become a contributor. To me it is the best $6 spent every year.

If you can get this apart, there are a few things that may help.

My guess is the mating parts of the rotating parts have swollen a bit with rust.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-27-2020 at 1:18 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Just learning the ropes. could not figure out how to start a new threat so I tagged along.

I have cleaned and polished both surfaces with 800 grit wet sandpaper and used some white lithium grease and now it is much better. I am having to replace the mounting bracket as mine got broke in transit (very poor packing by seller).
    Pretty neat tool for sure.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James Luna View Post
    Just learning the ropes. could not figure out how to start a new threat so I tagged along.

I have cleaned and polished both surfaces with 800 grit wet sandpaper and used some white lithium grease and now it is much better. I am having to replace the mounting bracket as mine got broke in transit (very poor packing by seller).
    Pretty neat tool for sure.
    If my memory is working it may be necessary to become a contributor before you can post or see images. A site like this may start out from the kindness in one person's heart. Over time it becomes an expensive, time consuming endeavor. Six bucks a year is a small price to pay to have such a resource.

Is the mounting bracket an easy part to find or fabricate?

For starting a new thread, this should be on the screen of the first page of any of the various forum subjects:

Start New Thread.png

It is in the upper left area of the window.

Opps, just remembered you likely can not see the image. Well, it is there for others who read this thread in the future.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    If my memory is working it may be necessary to become a contributor before you can post or see images. A site like this may start out from the kindness in one person's heart. Over time it becomes an expensive, time consuming endeavor. Six bucks a year is a small price to pay to have such a resource.

Is the mounting bracket an easy part to find or fabricate?

For starting a new thread, this should be on the screen of the first page of any of the various forum subjects:

Start New Thread.png

It is in the upper left area of the window.

Opps, just remembered you likely can not see the image. Well, it is there for others who read this thread in the future.

jtk

Jim,
    IIRC, I know you can't post/comment in the Classified Ads without being a contributor but I think you can post a thread and see pics. I could be wrong which is nothing new.

Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Jim,
    IIRC, I know you can't post/comment in the Classified Ads without being a contributor but I think you can post a thread and see pics. I could be wrong which is nothing new.

Mike
    This is some what of an unknown to me also. To the best of my recollection there was a recent change in what non-contributors can or can not do/see.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This is some what of an unknown to me also. To the best of my recollection there was a recent change in what non-contributors can or can not do/see.

jtk
    Ok. I did not know there was a recent change. Not a good one. IMO. Thanks Jim.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Ok. I did not know there was a recent change. Not a good one. IMO. Thanks Jim.
    Many people didn't like it. Others realize there is no such thing as a free lunch in this world.

Here is a post from the Tech Support section > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?278081

jtk

Thanks Jim. I can see both sides of the coin. I'd like to believe that most people who come to SMC for very long get hooked on the site. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean they become contributors.

Mike