Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A little Esherick; A little Escher

A little Esherick; A little Escher

I have been trying my hand at green woodworking and Windsor chairs recently. The riving process yields a lot of off-cuts that aren't really appropriate for a chair. But it seems a sin to waste them. I also have several wider off-cuts from tables that are too narrow or thin to otherwise be a chair seat.

IMG_3145.jpg

The top is walnut (lathe turned; it's really a platter); the base is (I think) pin oak from our yard @ work. Finished in spar varnish. The legs and stretchers were riven, then shaped with a draw knife.

C&C invited.

Prashun,

I like, I really like. Beautiful and I would love to have it in my home.

ken

Prashun,
    What a nice way to use scrap pieces. They are not scrap now, very nice indeed, go get um!
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Excellent!! Love the combination of woods and the contrast between the riven legs and the contoured top. Well done!

Very nice work. I especially like the natural shapes of the legs and stretchers. How tall is it?

Very nice indeed. Simple, uncluttered, functional. Thanks for sharing Prashtun. Your travels into the chair world have been inspiring to see.
    David

Blog Entries
    All the above.

Nice use of materials on hand.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Prashun, beautiful! I especially enjoy the contrasting texture of the walnut and oak.

You might be the only boutique bodger! If you are now an employee ...someone will soon yell "speed up !".
    I don't think anyone will walk by it without treating a hand to the rolling silkyness.

Nicely done.

Reminds me of Adrian McCurdy, whose work I admire.

Kudos

Very nice. Chairs and stools are a completely different skill set from cabinets and tables.

I LIKE that Prashun! Very nice!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I also like it . Very cool
    Aj

Hi Prashun,

That's a delightful little stool--organic and elegant at the same time.

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Thank you for the comments. Here is a picture of the top. I rounded and scooped it on the lathe. Then I planed the bevel reliefs. I have a confession: when I split the tops of the legs with a chisel and drove the wedges, the split ran beneath the bottom of the seat. I'm not going to glue or do anything to it, but it's certainly not right. I suspect this happens if the seat is not fully engaged to the tenon. It was hard to do that because the curved surface, and 3-legged support didn't lend itself to easy clamping to a solid surface. Next time I will probably drill a relief hole across the bottom of the kerf to allow the tenon to bend without forcing a split farther down the leg. I could build a jig to clamp it better, but the more complex it gets, the less easy it is to justify as a 'use up your waste' project.

Last edited by Prashun Patel; 12-17-2019 at 9:01 AM.