Thread: Help identifying old eggbeater drill

Question Help identifying old eggbeater drill

I have seen some similar, but not the same as this. It was my grandfathers and I would just like to know more about it. The only marking on it is 'Made in USA' on the back of the crank wheel. The end of the handle screws off for bit storage.

IMG_20191215_162232.jpgIMG_20191215_162249.jpgIMG_20191215_162310.jpgIMG_20191215_162333.jpg

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Might look into ones made / sold by Granit....
    after.jpg
    Have 2....one is a bit bigger than this little fellow...
    IMG_0042.JPG
    Last edited by steven c newman; 12-15-2019 at 6:35 PM.

I have a Millers Falls No. 77 drill that has a nearly identical chuck on it. The detail that says that to me is the slot for a screw driver to take it apart. None of the rest of your drill looks similar to mine, so it probably isn't a Millers Falls.
    You might do internet searches for Millers Falls, Goodell Pratt, and any other makers of egg beater that you come across. I've had some good luck with such searches. If you have an approximate age/date for the drill that could also help with the searches.

In digging around some more I think it's a Fulton, but I can't find anything to confirm it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Hope View Post
    In digging around some more I think it's a Fulton, but I can't find anything to confirm it.
    There is actually more than one maker of products marked with the Fulton brand.

At least one is still in business > http://fultoncorp.com <. They made some tools and such in the early 1900s.

This can make it even more confusing > https://www.timetestedtools.net/2016...-tool-company/

One of my finds has led me down more than a few dead ends trying to learn more about when and where it was made:

Fulton Adjustable Garden Nozzle.jpg

Some day more information may present itself. Until then it is an enjoyable tool to use in the garden.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I found this on eBay:

Fulton Value Trade Hand Drill .jpg

So I'm on track with the brand. I am guessing at the age around 1930 or so, but I think that is about as close as I am going to get.

...or not I guess. Could be a Dunlap.

Vintage-Dunlap-Tools-Hand-Drill.jpg

One other maker to look up....G.M.Co.

NOT the carmaker....

At this point I'm pretty convinced it is a Dunlap. Found this photo with what appears to be the exact same handle shape and cap.

Dunlap Hand Drill .jpg

Would love to get an age on it if possible.

Blog Entries
    At this point I'm pretty convinced it is a Dunlap.
    This is reminiscent of my job so many years ago as a bicycle mechanic. As we were assembling some Japanese bicycles someone noticed the sticker on one of the brakes was crooked and had another sticker under it. Being young and curious the crooked Dia Comp label was removed only to reveal a Weinmann label.

There have been a lot of products made by some manufacturer and sold to distributors who paid for their own branding.

Both Fulton and Dunlap were branding names used by Sears and others.

Even the Sears name isn't limited to the national chain. If you are ever in San Francisco, try breakfast at Sears Fine Food on Powell. Back in the early days they would park a couple of pink Cadillacs in front with the engines running to keep people warm while waiting for a table.

http://www.searsfinefood.com/our-history

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-16-2019 at 1:21 PM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    It looks to me like Millers Falls can be ruled our. Every one I found had either spiral spokes, aside from a plain, no spoke design.