Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I get the dummy-of-the-day award....

Red face I get the dummy-of-the-day award....

Still shaking my head over this one...

Was running some test cuts with a new Quadra-cut bit in the router table - (nice bit, btw, and a quieter than other 2 flute bits I've used). Noticed that I wasn't getting the full profile of the cutting edge. Turned out that the bearing on the bit was a little too large, holding the work off the bit by several thousandths.

Since I was using it in the router table, the bearing isn't really necessary, so I decided to take the bearing off. Was just about on the last turn of the screw when I fumbled the allen wrench. In a nano-second that wrench disappeared into the router motor. It dropped just perfectly so that there was no chance to grab it. It just, poof, was gone. It happened so fast that I questioned myself for a bit about whether that wrench actually fell in to the motor. But I couldn't find it in the dust box.

Took me a while but I was finally able to see just a little bit of the wrench sitting on the windings behind the fan. I tried a small magnetized screw driver, but couldn't pull the wrench up. At this point I'm thinking of all sorts of bad scenarios, like having to replace the motor, etc.

After taking a few minutes and a couple deep cleansing breaths, I thought of turning the whole plate/lift/motor assembly over and trying the magnetized screw driver using gravity to my advantage. I propped the motor assembly over the open tool well in my split top bench and got under the bench. Within about 10 seconds, I fished the wrench out with the magnetized screw driver. Just dropped right out.

I never would have previously considered the possibility of dropping that wrench into the motor. So, lesson learned. Keep the small tools away from the top of the router motor.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 12-14-2019 at 5:31 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I've done similar things many times. Thanks for the reminder!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Me too. I dropped a very tiny screw that holds the plastic plates aound the bit down into my router once. Did like you and turned the router motor upside down and fortunately it fell out. No worse for wear.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

When working on cars it is recommended to stuff a rag into the intake so bits and pieces do not fall into the valves and cylinders. It is much harder to turn a engine upside down and shake it.
    Bill D.

Oooooh yea, I have seriously been concerned that might happen to me too! Thats why I picked up one of these little gems (LINK)! Do those bit bearing changes OFF the motor!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Nah. The dummy award would go to the guy who gave up looking for the wrench, got another wrench to finish removing the bearing, and then turned on the router.

I bet that if 50 of us gathered to try to purposely drop that wrench into the motor, it would take us 2 days to make that shot!! Great recovery!! (i dropped a washer yesterday, and watched it roll perfectly on its side at least 15 feet to beneath a shop table. I doubt i could do that on purpose if i had to)
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Oooooh yea, I have seriously been concerned that might happen to me too! Thats why I picked up one of these little gems (LINK)! Do those bit bearing changes OFF the motor!
    Oh that's definitely going on my list! Thanks for that link Ben!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    When working on cars it is recommended to stuff a rag into the intake so bits and pieces do not fall into the valves and cylinders. It is much harder to turn a engine upside down and shake it.
    Bill D.
    I did the same in my younger life and your post now inspires the thought that it might be a good idea to have a shield of some sort under the bit above the motor to deflect not only allen wrenches but cuttings/dust in general. I never thought much about it before but some amount of dust must be escaping the fence dust collection and the only place for it to go is down into that motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    I bet that if 50 of us gathered to try to purposely drop that wrench into the motor, it would take us 2 days to make that shot!! Great recovery!! (i dropped a washer yesterday, and watched it roll perfectly on its side at least 15 feet to beneath a shop table. I doubt i could do that on purpose if i had to)
    earl
    Don't know if it's just Murphy's Law, or some other undiscovered law of physics, but I believe there is a force that draws dropped things towards the most inconvenient final resting spot possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Don't know if it's just Murphy's Law, or some other undiscovered law of physics, but I believe there is a force that draws dropped things towards the most inconvenient final resting spot possible.
    In fact I think I'll dub that the PITA force....

During a plant shutdown at Ford, I dropped a 1/2” nut into a 2MVA rectifier transformer.

It took me 6 hours to retrieve it.

To this day I remember the dull sound of that nut wedging in the winding in a cooling duct.......Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Bill D.
    Open the hood on old cars and you can see the ground around the engine. New ones? ...not so much.

I had a new (at the time) car; screwdriver slipped out of my hand while under the hood. It disappeared, and to the best of my knowledge, was still there when I sold the car. Now I let other more talented people lose their tools under my hoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post

It is called a black hole. it pulls everything so hard that even light can not escape its pull.
    Bill D

I have found a few tools in the engine/transmission areas of used vehicles that I bought-screw drivers, wrenches and a couple special tools I couldn’t identify. I spoke I have given a few away that way too