Thread: Cord Management

Cord Management

I use two sanders, one with coarse paper, one with fine. The cords get in the way so here's my solution.

Sanders.jpg

This is similar to Hollywood Rail, a system used on auto plant assembly lines. It used 2" pipe and ran hundreds of feet with many tools suspended. I think it's kinda obsolete now, displaced by more modern systems.

My mini system uses 3/4" conduit and toy car wheels. I don't hang the sanders, just the cords. Works really well.

When I need to travel across the shop out of range of the suspended cords, that's what the orange cord is for. Doesn't happen often.

John Deere does it automatically with power drive so the 1,000 foot powercord is not dragged through the dirt. That must be some cable to supply 400 horsepower.

See around 1:00 and 1:45
    Bil lD
    https://www.electrive.com/2018/12/12...tor-in-action/

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    I use two sanders, one with coarse paper, one with fine. The cords get in the way so here's my solution.

Sanders.jpg

This is similar to Hollywood Rail, a system used on auto plant assembly lines. It used 2" pipe and ran hundreds of feet with many tools suspended. I think it's kinda obsolete now, displaced by more modern systems.

My mini system uses 3/4" conduit and toy car wheels. I don't hang the sanders, just the cords. Works really well.

When I need to travel across the shop out of range of the suspended cords, that's what the orange cord is for. Doesn't happen often.
    Tom, I am trying to get a better look at your brackets. Could you post a close up? I have been racking my brain for a solution like this. have been looking at retractable tool balancers, but I think this is a better solution.

I took a couple of short cuts that I would not do again but at the moment it's not broke.
    The wheels are installed with nails and the tape to hold the cord felt like cheating too.

Wheels.jpg

I have a lot plugged into that outlet but it is

drill press
    lathe
    two sanders
    orange cord for drills etc.

I never run more than one at a time.
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 12-17-2019 at 7:36 AM.

There is a welding cable holder that is designed to take the weight of the primary cable and just leave the stinger lead weight on the welder. This holder has a large round section that will slide along a pipe or hook to just about anyplace nearby and the business end has a spring loaded catch that keeps the cable where it is placed. I have one in my shop.

https://weldingsupply.com/cgi-bin/ei...UNDEF:X:CH-240

That's a very interesting idea. I can see it as a practical solution for overhead air, too. Hmm....have to think about this.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When I look up Hollywood rail all I get are street car stations. Your method looks like festoon cable for bridge cranes. Probably easier to move the curtain rings.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    I took a couple of short cuts that I would not do again but at the moment it's not broke.
    The wheels are installed with nails and the tape to hold the cord felt like cheating too.

Wheels.jpg

I have a lot plugged into that outlet but it is

drill press
    lathe
    two sanders
    orange cord for drills etc.

I never run more than one at a time.
    I believe those trolley things are called festoons. You can buy commercial ones of various types. Or use loops made from small rope attached to carbiners. Instead of pipe just use taught rope or braided wire. These are common for flood rescue and the like. I used some rope/carbiner festoons to pull a large bundle of RF cables across a long tension line ~200 up hill . Worked great. We could pull up or take down a huge bundle in just a few minutes.