Thread: Polar Camel mug handle too heavy for Epilog rotary?

Polar Camel mug handle too heavy for Epilog rotary?

I purchased some Polar Camel mugs from JDS and I was going to engrave them with a logo from a test event my work just completed. I can't seem to get the mug to spin on the rotary attachment. It will start to spin and then it just falls off the rotary. I think the handle is too heavy for either the rotary motor or maybe it is too heavy for the amount of grip the rotary wheels can apply to it. Anyone ran into something like this before?
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

Also, the bottom of the mugs are much heavier than the top.
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Upton View Post
    Also, the bottom of the mugs are much heavier than the top.
    I've a 4 wheel rotary for my Chinese laser. Similar to the epilog but made cheaper. I ended up making a 3dprinted spring hold down arm. Others use rubber bands, (mainly wine glasses for this). It takes some creativity on some of these things.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Thanks John. I can mess around with the rubber bands to see if they might help. Do you happen to have a photo of your hold down arm?
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

Blog Entries
    holddown2.jpg
    Nothing fancy, it works on most open mouth items. things like bottles, no. (but I fill them when necessary if they seem too light to roll well)
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

Hum, it says I don't have permissions to view the image you posted.
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

Hum, it says I don't have permissions to view the image you posted.
    To view pics here you need to be a Contributor. That's just $6 a year. Hope you'll join us.
    Frec
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I don't know if this would fix your problem, but one thing that I did that seemed to fix all my problems while rotary engraving mugs is putting a socket inside the cup. I used a 1-1/8" socket until I just got a solid steel cylinder to use. Since then, I have never had issues with engraving. I also made a makeshift "stopper" so that the cup could not move perpendicular to the motion of the rollers. If that makes any sense.
    Rabbit QX80-1290
    TTP Stingray
    LogoJET UV2400

CorelDraw 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    To view pics here you need to be a Contributor. That's just $6 a year. Hope you'll join us.
    Frec
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    holddown2.jpg
    Nothing fancy, it works on most open mouth items. things like bottles, no. (but I fill them when necessary if they seem too light to roll well)
    So the arm with wheel on the right just applies pressure to the top of the item you are engraving?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Krahn View Post
    I don't know if this would fix your problem, but one thing that I did that seemed to fix all my problems while rotary engraving mugs is putting a socket inside the cup. I used a 1-1/8" socket until I just got a solid steel cylinder to use. Since then, I have never had issues with engraving. I also made a makeshift "stopper" so that the cup could not move perpendicular to the motion of the rollers. If that makes any sense.
    The socket trick is interesting. I'm guessing it just adds weight to the inside, thus pushing down on the wheels more? Is your "stopper" just something that you place at the top or bottom of the mug to keep it from sliding in that direction?
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

The socket trick is interesting. I'm guessing it just adds weight to the inside, thus pushing down on the wheels more? Is your "stopper" just something that you place at the top or bottom of the mug to keep it from sliding in that direction?
    That is exactly the idea. My "stopper is actually so makeshift, it is usually just a piece of acrylic with two-sided tape stuck to the frame of my roller.
    Rabbit QX80-1290
    TTP Stingray
    LogoJET UV2400

CorelDraw 2018

I prefer a sharp stick in the eye rather than using my Epilog rotary.

One small solution I found when engraving mugs with a handle is to only engrave when the handle is rotating downward. Kinda hard to explain, but I engrave top-to-bottom for one side of the mug, then I engrave bottom to top to do the other side.....and in both cases it's so the handle is rotating downward......the rotary just doesn't seem to have the power or grip to engrave while the handle is rotating upward......so both sides of the mug cannot be done in one pass.

Hope that helps and makes sense.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

With the hot dog roller type rotary, be sure your silicone/rubber rings are always clean and ensure the set screws on the drive wheels are nice and tight to reduce slop. If the drive wheels have any play, it can wreak havoc on items that are weighted to one side (i.e. handled drinkware).
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Thanks for all the tips everyone, I'll try them out and see what I get.
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w

Blog Entries
    There is a guy on the FB epilog site that makes a holder similar to mine for Epilogs. Yes, the arm pushed down on the inside of the cup and holds it against the wheels.
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

Thanks, I'll have to go checkout the Epilog FB group. I'm not really on FB so I did not even know where was a group out there.
    Keith Upton
    Aerodrome Accessories
    Epilog Mini 24 - 60w