Thread: douglas wood brushed

douglas wood brushed

Hello everybody

Today I show you my first brushed vase made of Douglas wood

I never thought that Douglas wood was so obstinately

I think the structure that comes through brushing is even more fantastic

Kind regards

RogerIMG_20191214_091930_1.jpgIMG_20191214_091958.jpg
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-14-2019 at 10:44 AM.

That's neat looking. You mean Douglas Fir, right?

Very nice - what is the brushing process you used?
    Tom

xes i mean douglas fir, il us a ingerman (topfbürste) for deep sanding

best regards

roger

Tom, roger had a video showing how he made this piece, and he used a wire cup brush in an angle grinder. I think that is what is meant by "ingerman (topfbürste)"

Really nice piece, video would have been more instructive if you had shown the actual brushing. Maybe cut down on the roughing out a bit. Beautiful product no doubt.

pretty piece. I'd like to know how to do that brushing technique myself.

hi all thank oyu for your coment, the brushing (deep grain sanding) is showing in the video start at min 12:46

best regards

roger

Very Nice. What material is that brush made from? Thanks, Ron

The brushing technique has been around for at least 50 years. It is especially for soft woods with wider grain patterns.I made a few brushed pieces back around 1970 and was shown the technique by an older Amish guy my dad knew. Amish guy's business was custom turnings, porch pillars, staircase parts, baseball bats. ( He made a 37 inch bat for me) I used a standard hand wire brush and scorched the surface with a blow torch to get more contrast between the harder part of the grain and the soft parts between. then scrub it along the grain with the brush. Looks like Roger used a brass cup brush in an angle grinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    The brushing technique has been around for at least 50 years. It is especially for soft woods with wider grain patterns.I made a few brushed pieces back around 1970 and was shown the technique by an older Amish guy my dad knew. Amish guy's business was custom turnings, porch pillars, staircase parts, baseball bats. ( He made a 37 inch bat for me) I used a standard hand wire brush and scorched the surface with a blow torch to get more contrast between the harder part of the grain and the soft parts between. then scrub it along the grain with the brush. Looks like Roger used a brass cup brush in an angle grinder.
    The other John Jordan uses and teaches that technique.

JKJ