Thread: Veritas marking gauge feedback?

Veritas marking gauge feedback?

It's too late, because I've been seduced by Lee Valley's free shipping that runs out in about an hour, but I'd love to hear comments from folks here who have used the Veritas marking gauges.

They have too many choices:
    • Standard wheel marking gauge: $36.50
    • Micro-adjust wheel marking gauge with no gradations: $41.50
    • Micro-adjust wheel marking gauge with gradations: $44.50
    • Micro-adjust wheel marking gauge (no gradations): no kidding, the same exact name as the two previous models above: $53.50

They claim that the last product of the four listed above is some sort of culmination of their design continuum: "draws on two decades of manufacturing experience, with many refinements and subtle improvements over our previous gauges."

Subtle indeed. It seems to boil down to these three feature differences:
    • fine-tuning adjustment: not entirely new, but seems to be enhanced with a fine-pitch thread
    • locking knobs are mentioned, but aren't these also found on the others?
    • eccentric brass face/fence surface: OK, this seems like a good idea for some reason

That seems to be the difference. I suspect it's enough to go with the high-priced model.

Glen Drake's entry level Tite-Mark, which I'm sure is an outstanding tool (I've met him, and he's a stand-up guy), goes for $89. It features an A2 steel cutter wheel compared with the hardened steel wheel on the Veritas. But for five bucks you can get a replacement cutter for the Veritas, so...

Here I go. I'm buying the Veritas Top Shelf version in a few minutes. Must...buy...when...free...shipping... But I'd still love to hear your experiences with these and others.

By the way, I've had a Marples/Crown-style pin-cutter marking/mortising gauge for like 15 years, and I'm recently getting a little happier with the sharp edge I'm grinding onto its pins, but they're still pins, and I long for something that will handle cross grain more elegantly. Hence the wheel-type.

Let the controversy ensue.
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 12-13-2019 at 11:26 PM.

Hello
    After using a knockoff Titemark gauge I wanted another one for speed, this time I was getting one that had a flush cutter, so one can set the head on the stock and drop the cutter down for an exact thickness.
    I bought the new Veritas micro adjusting gauge without graduations.
    BTW the Veritas wheels don't fit the Titemark knockoff.

I was thinking it would be a heavier affair, and was a bit disappointed with it.
    I was kinda expecting a heavy gauge stem and not the thin wall tubing it has.
    The micro adjustment is a bit sloppy, and dainty in general, not that I've ever found it useful on the other knockoff Titemark gauge, even with its horribly milled slot in the stem that takes a bit of care to set.
    So no surprise that I have this one locked down tight to the stem and will never use it.

I was expecting the head to be a bit heavier, it tapers down very thin.
    The offset has proved nice to have.
    I've found myself needing to "misuse" this type of marking gauge as a cutting gauge to get better chisel registration when in a tricky situation.
    The Veritas gauge is prone to slippage if making deeper marks on hardwood, since its only got a single thumbscrew unlike the Titemark.
    I really ought to make a cutting gauge for myself but rarely need to mark this deep normally.

If I had a chance to swap it for a non adjustable one with graduations I would.
    I only found myself wanting them recently.

Its a nicely finished tool, albeit a bit dainty, but I don't think it will ever get dropped so shouldn't be a problem I suppose.
    That's about all I can say about it

Tom

Blog Entries
    Hi Bob,

This post is getting close to ten years old > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?133966 <. It is mostly a comparison between what was available from Lee Valley and Glenn Drake at the time.

The Tite-Mark is still being used in my shop. The Veritas was sold to a friend. The high end Veritas may be a bit nicer than their original design. It still looks like something needing both hands to set.

On the pin gauges, an old drill bit can make an excellent pin. It also helps across the grain if it is ground or honed more like a knife blade. Make the end more of a sharp rounded edge than a point. From the direction it is cutting it would look like a fine line. Perpendicular to the cut line it would look more like a V with a rounded bottom. If you want it to cut like a wheel, shape it like a wheel.

By the way, many people think the wheel on a 'wheel gauge' is supposed to turn. It doesn't unless you turn it in your hand while scribing a line.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 12-14-2019 at 1:34 PM. Reason: removed redundant wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Sounds like the newer Veritas you describe is about right for the price, given all the other ones in its class.

Never thought about using a drill bit for a cutter, thanks for the tip Jim!
    Re my Veritas comment.
    I would swap the stem as I think the original gauge is bored on centre and not offset.

I really like my two stem Veritas gage (fancy, plated one!), I really like my Hamiton knife gage, but I love my Titemark!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I have three marking gauges. Two are home made classical style with finish nails filed down for the pins. I also have the Veritas mortise marking gauge. One of my homemade ones lives in my tool tray and honestly I prefer them for the vast majority of marking tasks – the Veritas lives in a drawer and comes out for specific tasks only. I feel like the Veritas one should be more accurate, but in all honesty, there’s no difference in accuracy. The reason I like my homemade ones better is because they are easier to use. Those wheel cutters make ridiculously thin lines that I often struggle mightily to see. They are also so thin that if I’m planing down to a line, it can be harder to spot when I hit the line where as with the slightly thicker line from my homemade ones you know it because you will actually split the line in two. I also find the Veritas one more difficult to hold and sometimes my grip winds up knocking the little locking screw. There’s also not a lot of reference surface so I have to be kind of careful marking a line.

That said, it’s a mortising gauge so that’s awesome. And in a pinch it can function not just as a 3rd marking gauge, but a 3rd and 4th (only needed that once, but it did save the day). For some tasks it can also a little easier to set the depth perfectly.

So there are pros and cons. For most normal stuff I prefer my old school ones, but there are definitely situations where the Veritas one excels and worth a smidge more trouble to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    I really like my two stem Veritas gage (fancy, plated one!), I really like my Hamiton knife gage, but I love my Titemark!
    Sounds about like me. Titemark are about always what I reach for first, followed by Hamilton, and then the Veritas last. Not sure why but never fell in love with the Veritas micro adjustment on it. Still, I look at the Veritas double beam every time the free shipping roles around.

I have both the original Veritas gauge and one that Lee Valley markets as the "Deluxe" made in rosewood and brass. I use both often. The Veritas gauge is well made and does just what I expect it to do. The "Deluxe" (single cutter version) is heavier, feels just wonderful in my hand and it's beautiful to look at! Not cheap but I smile every time I use it. It's not as precise as the Veritas but neither is my sawing!

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...marking-gauges
    Best regards,

Ron

You haven't really been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2!

Here I go. I'm buying the Veritas Top Shelf version in a few minutes. Must...buy...when...free...shipping... But I'd still love to hear your experiences with these and others.
    Bob, marking gauges will, like all other hand tools, attract a range of personal replies.

Two recommendations: have a few available for each job. I use them also to transfer dimensions, and so have several I can turn to.

Secondly, keep the wheels sharp. A quick rub on a fine stone will rejuvenate it.

I have both Tite-Mark and Veritas wheel gauges. The TM are the duck’s nuts, but I grab the non-fine adjustable Veritas as they are quicker - it’s just practice. Fine adjusters are not really that important, but they are useful.

I also like Japanese gauges, and have a couple of Kinshiro. These are the very best but no longer available. I have also made my own. The knives require a little more skill to hone.

Kinshiro on right ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim, you are the beating heart, the archivist in chief of the Neanderthal Haven. Thank you for digging up that comparison of the earlier Veritas model to the Tite-Mark!

All the best,
    Bob

Derek,

Nice. You are gauged up.

I'm wondering about keeping the inside of the wheels sharp.