Thread: cute sawmill

cute sawmill

https://woodmizer.com/Store/Shop/Por...ontent=800x160

I don't really need a mill, but could use one, once in a while. This is getting cheap enough to be tempting, and no assembly required. We do have a few hundred acres of trees, loaders, and fork lifts, so log handling is not a problem.

My biggest use would probably be when I have a Cypress shingle job, to buy logs, and cut them like I want them sliced up.

Comments are welcomed.

I sure does look tempting.

That price is really right. Be worth it to supply your own wood for your shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    https://woodmizer.com/Store/Shop/Por...ontent=800x160

I don't really need a mill, but could use one, once in a while. This is getting cheap enough to be tempting, and no assembly required. We do have a few hundred acres of trees, loaders, and fork lifts, so log handling is not a problem.

My biggest use would probably be when I have a Cypress shingle job, to buy logs, and cut them like I want them sliced up.

Comments are welcomed.
    Tom, come to the Southern Farm Show at the State Fairgrounds in Raleigh. Show is in early February. Woodmizer, Hud-Son and usually another vendor show off their mills. Over at a North Carolina based web site, there is a list of sawyers, some of who specialize in cypress. They all can custom cut what you want. Some may have the shingle attachment for their mills. I've seen a steam operated shingle mill at State Fair.

That's a good idea.

No problem making shingles the way we make them. The last ones were 28" long. I don't do enough of it to be worth buying any kind of mill attachment. With my method, and 2 helpers, we go from boards stacked on a trailer, to a pickup bed full of neatly stacked shingles in not much over an hour, and maybe a half. If I got rid of the sapwood to start with, it would cut out one step in the process. I have to rip that off of each board, by eye, on a table saw without a fence, as the first step.

I'm not a bit interested in standing close to a circular blade while cutting the shingle vertically. I use a big bandsaw, and they are cut, two at a time, on a sled. One helper sets a board the length of the shingles we want on the sled, I push it through ( maybe 2 seconds), and the second helper takes them off, and stacks them in the truck. No hands come anywhere close to the blade.

I haven't had a problem buying boards, but no one so far that wants to get rid of the sapwood, pith, and then quarter saw. You can't have arcing over grain in a Cypress shingle, without it checking.